Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Pills mix - opinions sought and appreciated.
Fun mix. As it was a live recording, I thought it was important to preserve the spirit of a band playing live and, hopefully, resisted the urge of trying anything too overly processed or 'clever '.

.mp3    Happy Pills.mp3 --  (Download: 7.73 MB)

Muddy bottom end. You will struggle to clean that up .Good attempt .Anyone will struggle with that bottom end without a kick sample ,the bass is horrible too i dont mean in your mix in the multi tracks ive played with
(18-08-2019, 07:52 PM)takka360 Wrote: Muddy bottom end. You will struggle to clean that up .Good attempt .Anyone will struggle with that bottom end without a kick sample ,the bass is horrible too i dont mean in your mix in the multi tracks ive played with

Always a bit of a struggle with live tracks, especially when there's a lot of bleed. I notice a weird little resonance in the bass at 52Hz on this MP3 that I don't remember hearing while mixing....
Listen to the room mikes lol,That song is pretty un mixable ,well to get it sounding anything .Not exactly a great advert for supposedly high end microphones
Sounds really Okey, but like Takka pointed out the Bass sound is too boomy. The drums are stripped too much a bit, Kick is lost from time to time, Snare sounds a bit thin, raw tracks sound fuller. But the mix is on the right track. Good Work.
(18-08-2019, 10:14 PM)Lethan Wrote: Sounds really Okey, but like Takka pointed out the Bass sound is too boomy. The drums are stripped too much a bit, Kick is lost from time to time, Snare sounds a bit thin, raw tracks sound fuller. But the mix is on the right track. Good Work.

Thanks for the good feedback.
Hey SDM,

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have to agree about the low end. It's a definitely too subby in the kick, and it overtakes the entire mix. Get that wrangled, and I think you have a really solid mix underneath. The snare seems a bit overly compressed, and a bit too bright. Maybe the guitars could benefit from a little more low mids. I drove the guitars up a bit higher in general as well, but I think the kick drum was compensating for some perceived frequency separation that was a little too stark. Did you possibly make the majority of your mix decisions on the drums based on the bridge? Maybe I'm completely off the mark, but your mix makes the most sense (to me) during the bridge.

Good work, and you're pretty damned close!

Draper
(21-08-2019, 12:49 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey SDM,

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have to agree about the low end. It's a definitely too subby in the kick, and it overtakes the entire mix. Get that wrangled, and I think you have a really solid mix underneath. The snare seems a bit overly compressed, and a bit too bright. Maybe the guitars could benefit from a little more low mids. I drove the guitars up a bit higher in general as well, but I think the kick drum was compensating for some perceived frequency separation that was a little too stark. Did you possibly make the majority of your mix decisions on the drums based on the bridge? Maybe I'm completely off the mark, but your mix makes the most sense (to me) during the bridge.

Good work, and you're pretty damned close!

Draper

Great observations. Thank you.
(18-08-2019, 06:58 PM)SDM Wrote: Fun mix. As it was a live recording, I thought it was important to preserve the spirit of a band playing live and, hopefully, resisted the urge of trying anything too overly processed or 'clever '.

As for me, for a live session vocal is too separated from other instruments due to a large reverb. And other instruments do not work together very well - too much space between them.