Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Like Doodoo
Two words to describe this recording session - Beautiful trash.

This would go down as the hardest Telefunken session I've mixed.

A little bit about the mix -
Got rid of the instrumental at the start.
Screamed a little bit.
Cried into a pillow.
Honestly, I've done things in this mix I swore I would never do. I'm a little bit ashamed.

Anyways, I gave up on this one about 3rhs in. I won't visit it again.

~~~~~

LOL Ok, so I revisited it. Gosh, I'm a sucker for punishment, but I am happier with mix 1.2 than the first mix.

A few little changes to clean up the mix and get the strings/horns happening, though in doing so made the drums a little boxy during the string/horn part. But I'm kinda digging it, kinda feels more indi/folk that way.

Happy for comments or whatever, though I'm probably going to let this one go now ... for good.

.mp3    Like You DoM1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.32 MB)

.mp3    Like You DoM1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.32 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Bump for the Update xx
~
Other Mixes
What did you do about the master buss programmed automation which is rendered into all the tracks?

Thumbnail(s)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Oh, I get what you're saying now with the screenshot.

That's no masterbus, that is literally the reason why this session is so garbage. What you're seeing is the bleed from the drums into the violin channel, because the violin player was standing right next to the drums. There is bleed in all the tracks, and that, my friend, is why I hate this session.

What did I do about it? Again, there isn't much you can do about it. When the violin/trumpet wasn't playing, I turned them down. Other than that, I just EQed things to make them sound as best they can, and just shrug my shoulders about the rest.
~
Other Mixes
Really like that low end boost ... Something I didn't really do on mine but now I'm wanting too.. I think I'll boost it up. Sounds Fuller.
I don't really like that snare verb you used but that's personal taste. I think k the delay in it is no good it would sound better if there was Jo delay on it.
Not a big fan of airy vocals but I can see why you did it. You have very beautiful low end in those keys that you didn't really need that low end on vocals. Instead you enhanced those highmids.
Overall this mix is pretty good. Listening in my car and it translates awesome here. Good job!
Hello mate,

Thanks so for the kind words and the comments. Just a note:
There's no effects on the snare - what you're hearing is the garbage room noise bleed from the other microphones.
The other note I had was that you can't help the airy vocals because that's how the artist sings. Without that air, the overtones between 600hz - 1Khz become seriously out of balance, and listening to the song then on small speakers and laptop speakers sounds weird without the air.
My only fear with this mix was that the vocal was too loud overall. But I haven't had a comment about it yet so it must be ok.

Thanks again for the comments!
~
Other Mixes
(20-08-2019, 10:59 AM)Quathamer Wrote: Oh, I get what you're saying now with the screenshot.

Thanks for the reply but you completely misunderstood me.

All tracks have gain automation which was done post-recording. It wasn't turned off before printing the multi, and it should have been, not least because of the train smash it creates with all up-stream processing. It would also affect perception of eq, but I'll leave the topic for others to pick upon if they wish.

I will note that there's significant non-linear distortion artifacts coming off your main buss which makes for unpleasant listening. I initially attributed it to the gain automation (especially the struggles you had with mixing the project), but now I'm not so sure.

Have fun Wink

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Oh I thought that's what you meant, but I deleted my first response to you.

What I said was: There is no gain automation in the tracks. You can't gain every track up through a master buss, that kind of thing is done through a VCA in post processing, but that just simply isn't happening here. These recordings are raw in straight from the preamps. The issue you're talking about is just simply the band playing louder as the song goes on. The band does this to increase the energy over time. Proof of this is the fact that the noise floor in the recordings don't increase (the noise floor would increase if the tracks were gained up). You got to remember, this is a live performance with real musicians.

In regards to the distortions, I solved this issue in my Mix 1.2. Mix 1.1 I was using a parallel 1176 side buss to give a more analogue feel, but I ditched it to clean things up a bit. If you're still hearing distortions in Mix 1.2, you might want to check whatever you're listening on isn't blown.
~
Other Mixes
Instro balances are good, but the vocal is loud and thin. These telefunken sessions are pretty insane to mix since the takes are so bleedy and the vocalists can't seem to stand still and sing into the mix, so it may have been a solution to solve the proximity effect mud on the mic.Also could use more de-essing and low mid control with most likely a multiband comp or dynamic Eq.

Stereo image is a bit unbalanced and the guitar having way more top end harmonics than the key son the right make the mix seem biased to the left.

towards the end things get more balanced though still lop-sidded. Violins and Horns are too low in the mix as they carry the melody.

Still, one of the better mixes I have heard, the drums are spacey and pulled back, which honestly works great for the whole ambient sound of the mix.
Grate mix mate! I must retry after i heard this version, really smooth