Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Matt's Heart of my hometown
Since I seem to trigger some guys by criticising Telefunken, i guess i shut up then.

UPDATE: Mix V2, i changed a lot of stuff, especially on vocals & drums.

.mp3    homht.mp3 --  (Download: 3.58 MB)

.mp3    homht2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.24 MB)

The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
Everything seems to be buried in reverb, especially the vocal and it is stealing a good portion of the energy of the song. Certainly there are things in need of covering up but I think you've gone to far.

And take it easy on Telefunken. First, the fix was really easy and who knows where the issue was created. They are a great resource for the mixing community. A hand that feeds... And tell me you've never screwed up a recording...

As live engineers, we know how much you can get away with but then again you only get one chance to get it right. So...get it right. Someone is always LISTENING.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(13-08-2019, 10:18 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Everything seems to be buried in reverb, especially the vocal and it is stealing a good portion of the energy of the song. Certainly there are things in need of covering up but I think you've gone to far.

And take it easy on Telefunken. First, the fix was really easy and who knows where the issue was created. They are a great resource for the mixing community. A hand that feeds... And tell me you've never screwed up a recording...

As live engineers, we know how much you can get away with but then again you only get one chance to get it right. So...get it right. Someone is always LISTENING.

Certainly that's how I do these mixes, put in the tracks and start mixing them, I don't fiddle around with details much after 1-2 cycles through the song, I record it straight back into reaper. I don't know what could led to the problems of this record as I think there shouldn't be sync issues if you record multitracks in a daw... I use my crappy 10 year old laptop to record 32 tracks of live audio and never got such problems...only the system failing and not recording at all sometimes.
The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
You definitely lifted the veil in mix 2.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
The mix is pretty weak in every way it just sounds like you pulled the tracks in leveled them a bit and slung it all into a reverb.
The tracks are fine it was a two min fix
I just listened to V2. I'm not a fan of the snare verb. Is it the same verb overall? I'm not sure but it definite stands out on the snare. It's a bit distracting. It doesn't feel like a drug in an environment but more like the snare is triggering the reverb and it adds another element to the mix as opposed to supporting it. If that makes sense. I think overall the main instruments feel somewhat indistinct. The cymbals feel washy I'm wondering if reverb is playing a part in that.
The vocal could use a cut in the lower mids. During the verse it feels boxy. During the chorus, when he pushed, his voice opens up and the boxy quality isn't as apparent. The intro vocal feels pretty good. He feels relatively quiet in the chorus. He could come up overall and help boost the dynamics of the chorus.
The bass works pretty well as far as I can judge at the moment on earbuds. I suspect it could come back a hair and open up some room but I'm just guessing. The kick has a nice bounce. Guitar and keys feel fine. Tonally top to bottom it's easy to listen to. There's nothing harsh or unpleasant.
(15-08-2019, 01:59 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I just listened to V2. I'm not a fan of the snare verb. Is it the same verb overall? I'm not sure but it definite stands out on the snare. It's a bit distracting. It doesn't feel like a drug in an environment but more like the snare is triggering the reverb and it adds another element to the mix as opposed to supporting it. If that makes sense. I think overall the main instruments feel somewhat indistinct. The cymbals feel washy I'm wondering if reverb is playing a part in that.
The vocal could use a cut in the lower mids. During the verse it feels boxy. During the chorus, when he pushed, his voice opens up and the boxy quality isn't as apparent. The intro vocal feels pretty good. He feels relatively quiet in the chorus. He could come up overall and help boost the dynamics of the chorus.
The bass works pretty well as far as I can judge at the moment on earbuds. I suspect it could come back a hair and open up some room but I'm just guessing. The kick has a nice bounce. Guitar and keys feel fine. Tonally top to bottom it's easy to listen to. There's nothing harsh or unpleasant.
Thanks for your listen,
the snare reverb you're talking about is actually gated pink noise, a trick i eg. also often use with a cover band i do sound for regulary if they're playing some 80s hits to create that fat, over the top snare sound. Not everyone's taste i guess but I thought it would create some energy in this track. Other than that, I muted the big drum reverb I had in mix no 1 which seemed to mud it, so I don't know how you hear the cymbals washed out, ironically i A-B compared my mix to yours and find them to be less cutting through in yours. I boosted the vocals a bit in the chorus already, so that might be what you're hearing there, it still doesn't sit on top of everything else though. It's apparently not so much sticking out like in your mix.
Thx again.
(15-08-2019, 12:49 PM)takka360 Wrote: The mix is pretty weak in every way it just sounds like you pulled the tracks in leveled them a bit and slung it all into a reverb.
The tracks are fine it was a two min fix

So basically both mixes sound like crap to you, ok got that.
(15-08-2019, 04:59 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:
(15-08-2019, 01:59 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I just listened to V2. I'm not a fan of the snare verb. Is it the same verb overall? I'm not sure but it definite stands out on the snare. It's a bit distracting. It doesn't feel like a drug in an environment but more like the snare is triggering the reverb and it adds another element to the mix as opposed to supporting it. If that makes sense. I think overall the main instruments feel somewhat indistinct. The cymbals feel washy I'm wondering if reverb is playing a part in that.
Thanks for your listen,
the snare reverb you're talking about is actually gated pink noise, a trick i eg. also often use with a cover band i do sound for regulary if they're playing some 80s hits to create that fat, over the top snare sound. Not everyone's taste i guess but I thought it would create some energy in this track. Other than that, I muted the big drum reverb I had in mix no 1 which seemed to mud it, so I don't know how you hear the cymbals washed out, ironically i A-B compared my mix to yours and find them to be less cutting through in yours. I boosted the vocals a bit in the chorus already, so that might be what you're hearing there, it still doesn't sit on top of everything else though. It's apparently not so much sticking out like in your mix.
Thx again.
Fair enough.
Just to clarify, I said the cymbals were 'washy' not washed-out. Maybe it's an indistinct term. I can hear them fine (and yeah, the OHs could probably come up in my mix). There's just a flange like tone I'm getting from the cymbals on occasion. Listening again, I think it might be from leakage on the back ground vocals. I seem to sense it more in the choruses.

(15-08-2019, 05:14 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:
(15-08-2019, 04:59 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:
Thanks for your listen,
Thx again.
Fair enough.
Just to clarify, I said the cymbals were 'washy' not washed-out. Maybe it's an indistinct term. I can hear them fine (and yeah, the OHs could probably come up in my mix). There's just a flange like tone I'm getting from the cymbals on occasion. Listening again, I think it might be from leakage on the back ground vocals. I seem to sense it more in the choruses.
Yeah, might be some phase issues. I encountered them quite a bit in the record. Got the bg vocals gated so thei're only coming up in the chorus and might cause problems.