Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mirroman: 'Fever' - PCARNEY
Wow. What a fun evening mixing this. I love this performance = it hasn't gotrn old sfter listening dozens of times. Comp, Reverb, Delay. Limiter and Comp on master. I copied the bass voice and used a gate, and dropped an octave and made it sound like a bass, Mixed on headphones and tested on earbuds and stereo. No monitors yet. All done in Reaper.

Tips and suggestions welcomed! Smile

PCARNEY

.mp3    fever1.mp3 --  (Download: 3.89 MB)

Fabulous -- what a riot. I'm sitting in an internet cafe at the moment, and just got a load of weird looks from everyone in here when those drums came in and I actually laughed out loud! Smile Loads of fun -- great job! I love the way you've not just applied the octaver indescriminately, but only where it really makes sense, as that enhances the overall contrast in the arrangement, which works really well.

I'm listening on earbuds at the moment, I'm afraid, so I can't really say much about the mix technically, beyond that it seems to work pretty well as far as I can hear. Three things come to mind, though, in general. Firstly, the finger clicks sound a bit thin compared with the voices, and that's exacerbated by the bass octaving. I'd boost a bit of sub-500Hz to give it more body, especially because there are bits where the finger clicks are the most interesting thing going on. Secondly, I wonder whether the kick-drum in the drum pattern is maybe a bit busy. It just feels like this is the kind of song where the rhythmic busy-ness would make more sense coming from snare brushes and/or ghost notes, rather than from the kick. And, finally, the word 'chicks' in the final verse is quite a dramatic arrangement stunt in the raw multitracks, but doesn't really stand out much in your version any more. Maybe some kind of little effects spin?

Whatever, I enjoyed this version a lot -- thanks for sharing it! (And also for the kind words about my vocal performance!)

Thanks for the good feedback. Very much appreciated! I’ll take another listen and play with the mix. I’m reading the Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio book and look forward to buying better headphones and eventually monitors. Thanks.