Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Jam
So I went a bit off the deep end on this one just for fun. It's crazy saturated - something like 10 lumps of iron over various stems/mixbus paths in addition to slapping the J37 emulation (waves) on the master. Everything through hardware that enjoys being loaded up a bit as well. I wanted to soak this mix.

Although freq response looks nice and balanced on the "scope", I think I'm enjoying the bass a bit too much on this one (to my ears). Oh well - I'm a bassist.

I know some folks won't like the reverb treatment, but I wanted to put the group in a "small hall" for a certain ambience vibe I was feeling. It's fun to experiment.

Hope at least some enjoy it (or hate it!)...

.mp3    RJ Master CD MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.33 MB)

.mp3    Raspberry Jam MP3 for DZ2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.3 MB)

It's good. Everything is well stated although the cymbals are a bit crispy. Has a kind of '70s vibe to it. Panning is off balance as well. Can you explain your decisions on that?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks! You nailed the vibe I was going for...along with a weird "live'ish yet mixed in the studio" idea in my head. I think that was why I left the cymbals as "alive" as they are in the mix. I agree, that's the one piece (crispiness) that does niggle me still - so I'll probably post up a different mix either today or tomorrow.

Panning - ha! The Rhodes is being slammed (but not too hard) through a Kush Fatso (and its lovely transformers). I was not really rigorous on the levels, and as I dialed the mix in, the right channel is just a touch more "there" (which pulls the Rhodes a bit to the right). Interestingly, I had cloned the guitar track and panned mid L/R with those (and a bit different EQ/treatment for each track), and the result pulled the guitar just slightly to the left. I wound up liking the way it all sat - and it worked great in mono - so I rolled with it.

I'll see what a more intentional (and centered) Rhodes' placement does in the follow-up mix :-) I'll also tame the cymbals a bit...

You're awesome...
As promised, here's another take.

Changes - panning should be a bit more conventional now; less crispy (yet still "live" and present) cymbals; a bit more balanced bass level; a *tiny touch less reverb on Rhodes

I still wanted to keep my admittedly strange vibe that MITC picked out so accurately, so I left the main feel alone. I did, however, leave myself almost 2db more of dynamic range on this master. The first attempt was overdone (imo).

As always, I'd love comments....
Wonderful. A great listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
You are really kind....especially given your ears and experience.

This was fun to mix...and, as you said in your thread, challenging in a different way (i.e., vice managing stacks of tracks, etc.)
I only listened to the second mix. Sounds good. The cymbals occasionally pop out in the mix but I kinda like the dynamic push it adds. At first I felt that the keys were a bit too loud but as the song went on I think you have it right. In my mind this was initially considered the guitar and keys as equals but it makes sense to have the guitar support the keys and have them be the lead.
(13-08-2019, 01:48 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I only listened to the second mix. Sounds good. The cymbals occasionally pop out in the mix but I kinda like the dynamic push it adds. At first I felt that the keys were a bit too loud but as the song went on I think you have it right. In my mind this was initially considered the guitar and keys as equals but it makes sense to have the guitar support the keys and have them be the lead.

Thank you!

My vision was kind of wacky on this one - but I really appreciate you and MITC noticing that. I had a particular venue and vibe in my head - and since I couldn't bounce that off a "real" client in this case, I decided to just go for it.

I decided to push the Rhodes in this case, but you're correct in that it certainly was a "bold" decision (as were the cymbals!) I actually did one more version of this mix (no need to post it probably) in which I did some more close editing of resonant frequencies, etc. to "smooth" things out a bit. That resulted in a bit less "live" feel than these mixes, but it was good exercise to do it!

Thanks again!
I decided to go ahead and post up the mix I did inspired by Roy's guitar work. This is actually only subtly different than before (I wanted to keep it fairly "live sounding" still); however, side by side with the previous mix, some resonances are quite a bit tamed in the wah transients. They're still not as smooth as Roy's presentation, but I enjoyed digging in a bit and slightly rounding off a few pointy spots.

Cheers,

.mp3    Raspberry Jam MP3 for DZ3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.3 MB)