Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright - Contact [Damian Oakes Mix]
This is a fun song, and she has an incredible voice!

EDIT 1.1: Brought the drums up +2.5db, brought down a resonant peak on the guitar which was masking the snare. Added a bit more high-end exciter to the master. (Btw, I just now noticed that I misspelled her name on the project file name, and that carried down to the file itself. Lol, I'm dumb.)

EDIT 1.2–made after feedback from users Cudjoe and RoyMatthews: Boosted the vocal EQ at 2kHz and 5kHz to make it stand out more. Quickened the attack on the guitar compressor so it's not so pokey.

EDIT 1.3: Brought the horns down -1.5db, the guitar -1db, and the whirly -2db. Added a touch more high end to the master. I think that's about as good as it's gonna get with me, or I'm just sick of tinkering with it. Either/or.

.mp3    Kat Wright - Contact V1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.33 MB)

.mp3    Kat Wright - Contact V1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.33 MB)

.mp3    Kat Wright - Contact.mp3 --  (Download: 12.32 MB)

.mp3    Kat Wright - Contact V1.3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.33 MB)

(10-08-2019, 12:04 AM)Damian Oakes Wrote: This is a fun song, and she has an incredible voice!

EDIT 1.1: Brought the drums up +2.5db, brought down a resonant peak on the guitar which was masking the snare. Added a bit more high-end exciter to the master. (Btw, I just now noticed that I misspelled her name on the project file name, and that carried down to the file itself. Lol, I'm dumb.)
Hi Damian i like the ambience you have going on in your mix,well done.
Reaper user
Overall I like the tone of the mix. I think the guitar still stands out too much. Especially the stabs. It takes the focus away from the rest of the song. It ok during its quieter and muted parts.
I think the vocal could stand out more. It doesn't feel like the focus of the song. To be honest, I don't know if that's the vocal's fault or the guitar or both. When she pushes she comes out in front and the blend works but when she pulls it back she seems to get swallowed up by the rest of the band.

Hope that helps.
(10-08-2019, 01:47 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Overall I like the tone of the mix. I think the guitar still stands out too much. Especially the stabs. It takes the focus away from the rest of the song. It ok during its quieter and muted parts.
I think the vocal could stand out more. It doesn't feel like the focus of the song. To be honest, I don't know if that's the vocal's fault or the guitar or both. When she pushes she comes out in front and the blend works but when she pulls it back she seems to get swallowed up by the rest of the band.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, it helped quite a bit! Smile