Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Lighter Mix
Had to put the bass in the daw after mixing the rest of it on the M32 because its USB interface somehow can't handle the bass as you can hear in the extra file.

.mp3    shitty bass.mp3 --  (Download: 220.48 KB)

.mp3    ripe-little lighter.mp3 --  (Download: 4.02 MB)

The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
While the tones are OK it just feels way too controlled. The energy feels squashed. The drums are really small while the bass is really thick and out of proportion. The vocal also seems to be in a different place than everything else. Not a lot of coherence for the ensemble. Everything is there, but then again, not. Not bad, but not great.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(06-08-2019, 03:35 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: While the tones are OK it just feels way too controlled. The energy feels squashed. The drums are really small while the bass is really thick and out of proportion. The vocal also seems to be in a different place than everything else. Not a lot of coherence for the ensemble. Everything is there, but then again, not. Not bad, but not great.
Thanks for your reply.
I turned the drums down a bit because they first seemed to be too loud lol. But I'll check on that. As I said, I put in the bass afterwards because of the problems with the interface, I didn't care about it much though, it sounded ok on my speakers but listening on headphones it's really a bit too much you're right. And to the control argument, it's my way of mixing i guess and sometimes this (a bit of compression on everything to glue it all together and rather hard eq filtering) might get the mix to sound rather lifeless, however as I like to play music not only at moderate volumes but also very loud, this helps to keep the control over it without getting eg. too much sibilance on the vocals or harsh drums at high listening levels. I also check the dynamic range afterwards with the tt dr offline meter and most ofthe time I achieve a DR of 10-12 db (most "modern" produced music has a dr of 5-6 db), so I still try to not squash it too much. Anyway, I'll update this in the next days. Thx again.
The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.