Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hop Along: 'Sister Cities' - Olli H
25-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Hop Along: 'Sister Cities' - Olli H
Had to try this one. Quite difficult. I tried to make it sound like a little sister of Rolling Stones. Same retro mood but a little bit softer.

I don't know why, but the low end was also very difficult to me.

It took me a long time to find a place for those rhythm guitars. Maybe if I listen it tomorrow again I want to change everything.

.mp3   hop-along-2013-10-23-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.41 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2013, 07:04 PM
RE: Hop Along: 'Sister Cities' - Olli H
yes, it's a difficult one but the song really does deserve a try! I found it good! I've paid attention to all the things you pointed out when I mixed this one and I can hear everything right!

I like your accoustic guitar better than mine here, but I remember something that Voelund wrote a few days ago about making the lead guitar stand out better by making the other guitars less brilliant so it can 'shine' in the mix. That's what I did and it worked for me!

mixing since April 2013
Visit this user's website
25-10-2013, 08:17 PM
(25-10-2013 07:04 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote:  I like your accoustic guitar better than mine here, but I remember something that Voelund wrote a few days ago about making the lead guitar stand out better by making the other guitars less brilliant so it can 'shine' in the mix. That's what I did and it worked for me!

And that 's a good tip! It's so easy to get lost when doing own mix, as one has to concentrate on too many issues at the same time.

The thing that bothered me in this song's arrangement was overactive guitar wall. On the other hand, I guess that it was planned so, so I wanted to give it a chance. THat's where I used the LCR thing. Actually what could work better is to take the whole acoustic guitar away. On the other hand, this song doesn't have clear solo instrument adding fills here and there.

I have to listen this song again, but tomorrow. Now I don't want to hear it again for a couple of hours... Smile

... and thanks for listening
25-10-2013, 08:22 PM
I think you have done a great job with what appears to be a challenging mix. I also think Juan's tip sounds like a good idea.

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
26-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks!

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: