Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
All Hands Lost RyanB Mix need Feedback
Hi there,

this is my first try of mixing Rock Music.
Please give me some feedback what's good and what can I make better!

Thanks for listening Big Grin

.mp3    Ambitions - All Hands Lost mixed by RyanB.mp3 --  (Download: 5.91 MB)

First things first, this is actually really good for a first mix! My first mix was not this good, you're on the right track! There are a few issues though. The first is the gate on the snare, I noticed a couple of times toward the beginning the snare cuts out in spots where there should be a hit. The easiest solution would be to back off on the threshold (remember it's okay to have a little bleed from other drums occasionally, as long as it's not too much. Also maybe backing down the volume on the bottom snare and compressing it with a slow attack and fast release will help to tighten up the sound of it. Also cutting back a little 600-800hz will help the snare. Use a similar compressor on the kick as well as a little extra 8khz to get more of the "click" sound. On the vocals, I found that adding some 3-4khz helps to make it feel more "open". Also, a mistake that many beginning producers make is adding a ton of reverb (I did it too when I first started). Backing down on the reverb on vocals or replacing them with a little bit of delay will actually help the vocals stand out a little more. Keep up the good work!
Thank you so much for analysing my mix. Your tips are great and I testet all of them.
But are your right with the kick? I think it's more around 5kHz.

Yes adding reverb is not really easy for beginners. I add both a little bit of delay and maybe to much reverb!

Have I nice weekend!
(09-08-2019, 06:38 PM)RyanB Wrote: Thank you so much for analysing my mix. Your tips are great and I testet all of them.
But are your right with the kick? I think it's more around 5kHz.

Yes adding reverb is not really easy for beginners. I add both a little bit of delay and maybe to much reverb!

Have I nice weekend!

With the kick I find usually anything up in the top end of things should work, I usually shoot around 8 but 5 works just as well. Just remember to listen with your ears and not your eyes when it comes to finding the frequency to boost. Good luck to you on your mix!