Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Dye Yung
Alrighty, so I'm a little happier with this mix, but this was a toughie to clean up and stuff.

Here are my mixed STEMs (AIF Format) and below is a description of my methods.
Lord give us this day our daily STEMS

General Goal: I wanted to replicate the overly saturated thickness of the studio version (check spotify) but add the dynamics and rawness of the live session from Telefunken.

Kick - Standard gate comp and eq, externally sidechain compressing bass, gtrs and tracks.
Snare - Short gate, comp, eq, and very short room verb to bring back a bit of the body and width, externally sidechain compressing vocals.
Toms - standard gate and eq
Drums (hats, ride, bottom snare, OHs) - muted room channels, EQ and smashed a comp over group.
BassLo - Standard gate, low pass, comp.
BassHi - Standard gate, High pass, drive, comp, panned hard left.
Gtr - Drive, eq, comp, drive, panned hard right.
Tracks - parallel comp for presence.
Vox - Standard gate, eq, comp, and a little drive.
FX - Slap, long plate for bass hi and gtr, short plate for vox, delay for vox.

Master - Various Saturation and Eqs to enhance energy and presence, and a limiter. No Compression.

.mp3    The Great Enough_Die YoungM1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.94 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Another great mix in my opinion. I like the guitar saturation/drive, and thought the toms were great. Neat trick with the panning of the bass. I did check out the studio version and I think you've managed to nail what you were going for.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Thanks Mike!

Yeah I wasn't very happy with the mix to be honest, and would probably approach this differently if I was to revisit it. I'm not really stoked on how the bass and kick sits together, but I agree this is one of those arrangements where the bass and guitar panning really works.

Yeah the studio verson has a lot more low end and warmth, so I would definitely like to see more of that if I was to revisit again as well.
~
Other Mixes
Good integration of the dynamics of the track into your mix. What did you do with the bass. Am I hearing it panned to the left like another guitar part? Good ending too. Good power throughout. Nicely done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(27-08-2019, 02:12 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Good integration of the dynamics of the track into your mix. What did you do with the bass. Am I hearing it panned to the left like another guitar part? Good ending too. Good power throughout. Nicely done.

Hello mate,

Yeah this was a tricky one, and I'm not entirely happy with the final, but I am happy how the bass turned out. I'll explain it to you, but you can also download my group stems for this mix via the link in my first post.

Bass:
What I did was split the bass channel into 2 tracks. First track I LPF around 80hz and treated it as the bass backbone, and then the second track I HPF quite high and eq and compressed it as a second guitar, so that way the second bass track (Left) and the guitar (right) are at a good enough balance to pan hard left and right.

Hope that makes sense.
~
Other Mixes
Feels pretty good. Not much to complain about. I have some minor, personal preferences but nothing worth noting. I like the louder, clearer Tracks....track. Those bits of ear candy help the song.
(27-08-2019, 03:29 AM)Quathamer Wrote:
(27-08-2019, 02:12 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Good integration of the dynamics of the track into your mix. What did you do with the bass. Am I hearing it panned to the left like another guitar part? Good ending too. Good power throughout. Nicely done.

Hello mate,

Yeah this was a tricky one, and I'm not entirely happy with the final, but I am happy how the bass turned out. I'll explain it to you, but you can also download my group stems for this mix via the link in my first post.

Bass:
What I did was split the bass channel into 2 tracks. First track I LPF around 80hz and treated it as the bass backbone, and then the second track I HPF quite high and eq and compressed it as a second guitar, so that way the second bass track (Left) and the guitar (right) are at a good enough balance to pan hard left and right.

Hope that makes sense.

The bass treatment makes perfect sense. It was what I was hearing but did not want to make any assumptions. It is a pretty cool solution.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]