Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 1.6 Average
HoneyJar ( sour mix lol)
27-07-2019, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2019 09:26 PM by Shul.)
HoneyJar ( sour mix lol)
*First the guitar tone they used here is no good imo. It's too grungy for my taste and it causes a lot of problems in the mix..
* Drums were on point with the tunning.. I LOVE that snare sound to be honest it fits the song well. However the problem comes in after you bring the guitar and bass in the mix.. holy cow the drums loose definition on them and it's a nightmare .. at some point I wanted to just drop it.

a complete nightmare for me.. the first attempts sounded like complete crap.. so I stop doing things and went simple about it. Hardly any compression on the drums. Minor EQs here and there on them.

hard to place the instruments in the stereo field.. so I went slight left on bass and slight right on guitar.
Highpass the vocals to about 300hz because there was chaos in that area with instrumental.

Still have mixed feelings about this mix and daaaang I didn't know where to go from halfway there but ... I have what I have and I think I need some rest from it.
Hope you guys like it enough.. definitely needs work as I'm still not happy with what I have.
Thanks

.mp3   01HoneyJar.mp3 --  (Download: 12.92 MB)

.mp3   01HoneyJar(longtrainrunningpanning).mp3 --  (Download: 12.92 MB)

"Mixing for me is the opportunity you get to explore a song to detail and deliver the feeling intended. Mixing is more than faders and knobs, Mixing defines the soul of a song."
Saludos!
Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2019, 12:02 AM
RE: HoneyJar ( sour mix lol)
I understand your frustrations with this one. I felt like it should be relatively easy but the parts don't quite gel.

As for your mix it sounds really good to me. Though I'm probably not the best judge. I'm so burnt out on this one. The only thing that jumps out at me on an initial listen is the vocal. There are times when it just peaks out at me. It's just how the track is. When he sings "Wind" at the end of the first verse it just tears my head off and it always seems to do that and I could never figure out how to adequately remedy that. The roll off from 300hz works and fixes issues with proximity effect.

The harmonica feels a bit quiet and shy. Which I get. It doesn't seem like an element that would add anything to the mix but it helps the song.

You get pretty good definition from the guitar.

Overall, I've lost perspective on this song. I know you're not happy with the results but I thought you did a pretty good job. I think from what I've seen a lot of us want it to be something different. Which I think is a good thing. That means the song's catchy and we wish for more from it. I also think that a lot of us might be listening as 'mixers' and fighting it too much. This is a solid mix. The vocal is the only thing that bother s me and that's not some thing you did but something that I believe needs further work.

But, yeah, listen back to it with fresh ears.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
28-07-2019, 04:12 PM
I think you can lay your head down on this one. It sounds great. Gritty as needed and toneful as well. Cymbals sound especially well balanced. All parts are well defined and all fit. As Roy mentioned and I would agree is the harp level. A minor issue. Well done.

PS: Pretty much everyone left the Telefunken intro which gives a great sense of the reverb chosen by each mixer. It is a major tell on all mixes.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

28-07-2019, 04:28 PM
I always drop the intros unless I think it really helps set the stage. Why make people wait, that's my motto.
I've often considered posting an instrumental version of mixes to give people a chance to focus on more on the elements and technical aspects. I know Shul did something like that recently with stems.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
28-07-2019, 04:36 PM
(28-07-2019 04:28 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:  I always drop the intros unless I think it really helps set the stage. Why make people wait, that's my motto.
I've often considered posting an instrumental version of mixes to give people a chance to focus on more on the elements and technical aspects. I know Shul did something like that recently with stems.

I've been tempted to upload stems too and did listen to Shul's uploads. The only issue with that is that we are all pretty busy and analyzing and commenting on full mixes is constraining enough as it is. If someone asked I might indulge as it is not a difficult thing to do. Otherwise I'm too busy to listen or to contribute. Maybe we can all do a drum stem on some song we all agree on and comment on those.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

28-07-2019, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the input guys..
So hearing it again I still think the drums sometimes are louder than the guitar or bass. The thing with it is I remember when I tried to lower the drums they lost definition and I hated them.
mitc you got a point on that shaker.. though I don't hate it's sound.. it sucks that sometimes it pokes out like crazy here and there I get what you mean about the "distortion" that it creates... the grungy guitar tone doesn't help that shaker much.

seeing that you like the tone of the mix.. i think i'm just gonna leave it like that.. and gonna try to control the dynamics on those drums to prevent them from peaking out above the bass and guitar.
Hopefully I get a more controlled drum sound.
Thanks guys!

"Mixing for me is the opportunity you get to explore a song to detail and deliver the feeling intended. Mixing is more than faders and knobs, Mixing defines the soul of a song."
Saludos!
28-07-2019, 09:27 PM
So I did a weird panning mixers used to do in the 80's i believe?? lol

Saludos!
29-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Hi Shul,
Yes, i would stay with standard panning Smile Nice Vocal sounds and guitars although i miss a bit of bottom in them, Snare feel a bit thin, harmonica (really hard to process) has some mudiness. All in all cool mix. Cheers!
03-08-2019, 08:41 PM
I used standard (?) LCR panning for this one, L and R being guitars, overheads, backend vocals plus - my trick - is to have a doubled (waves doubler), delayed (10% feedback and 40-60ms on sides) and very lightly reverbed stereo bus for the lead vocals. Using a moderate (~ 50 ms) predelay on reverb helps disconnect it from the source so it does not push it back in the mix, but it gives a nice, mono-compatible stereo space to the whole mix. You can use this trick on backend vocals or guitars, on drum sucks.

If I have double miked guitar, I nearly pan it to LR 100% all the times, the differences between the microphone responses are enough for this.
19-08-2019, 07:35 PM
I like your mix. But it pushes the vocals a little up front. That's not a bad thing, but it makes quite apparent that there is some nasality in his singing that hits some resonances. Those words like "arms" and "alarm" (pretty early on) really through me off.
I tried to address those in my mix with some eq in those areas. It kinda helped (a bit). Other than that, I like it.
It's a nice warm mix. Good job.

Cheers, Stefan

Support my video work!
Advertisement: