Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Wood Brothers: 'Honey Jar'
27-07-2019, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019 11:46 AM by Dangerous.)
The Wood Brothers: 'Honey Jar'
Another fun live performance and with that, my focus here is the performance of the song. There is always that special energy that becomes embodied in the recording that captures the band’s characteristic sound and identity with these recordings. With that been said, theres not much to do other than clean it up and present it.
This is a light mix with not too much going on. A few phase adjustments across the tracks for tonal benefits and usual high pass filtering where required. (mainly to keep the bass guitar where I wanted it). The performance really started to come together once these moves were made. The only thing I didn't like was the harmonica which sounded more like a tin whistle than a harmonica, but I soon got that sorted. Thank you Mr Ibanez TS9!

Anyways, great song, great performance! Thanks for listening.

.mp3   TheWoodBrothers_HoneyJar_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.96 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2019, 04:23 PM
RE: The Wood Brothers: 'Honey Jar'
The guitar feels a bit thick to me and is taking up too much space for me. And that damn shaker. Arggghhh!!!
The drums feel a little restrained? Vocals and verbs are good. Nicely done.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

28-07-2019, 05:32 PM
I think definition on that snare is lost a lil bit when it's behind everything.. I get why you did that though.. sounds like you used less snaretop mic on your drum mix.
That's the problem when you get a recording that makes it difficult for you to pan left and right.. and a bass and guitar tone that use up a lot of the frequency range.

but good job overall Dave.

"Mixing for me is the opportunity you get to explore a song to detail and deliver the feeling intended. Mixing is more than faders and knobs, Mixing defines the soul of a song."
Saludos!
30-07-2019, 10:35 AM
(28-07-2019 04:23 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  The guitar feels a bit thick to me and is taking up too much space for me. And that damn shaker. Arggghhh!!!

Thanks for the listen Mitc. Guitar is thick, but it is the way I like them. In saying that, I did focus my sound around the upper register lead parts and making them more creamy, more blackface if you like. Automating this weight around the rhythm parts could be beneficial in this regard. Drums are restrained, I wanted to push them down back, out of the way to keep the guitar and vox forward. With my limited stereo width I tried to add space with depth. Besides guitars take precedence, don't they? They do in my world.TongueBig Grin
30-07-2019, 10:45 AM
(28-07-2019 05:32 PM)Shul Wrote:  I think definition on that snare is lost a lil bit when it's behind everything.. I get why you did that though.. sounds like you used less snaretop mic on your drum mix.
That's the problem when you get a recording that makes it difficult for you to pan left and right.. and a bass and guitar tone that use up a lot of the frequency range.

but good job overall Dave.

I just pushed the drums to the back of the stage by mono-ing them up and adding reverb. I felt, I liked depth over width with this performance, trying to keep it tight but not too chaotic. These recording are good fun to play with in this regard.

Thanks for taking the time Shul.
30-07-2019, 03:39 PM
(30-07-2019 10:35 AM)Dangerous Wrote:  
(28-07-2019 04:23 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  The guitar feels a bit thick to me and is taking up too much space for me. And that damn shaker. Arggghhh!!!

Thanks for the listen Mitc. Guitar is thick, but it is the way I like them. In saying that, I did focus my sound around the upper register lead parts and making them more creamy, more blackface if you like. Automating this weight around the rhythm parts could be beneficial in this regard. Drums are restrained, I wanted to push them down back, out of the way to keep the guitar and vox forward. With my limited stereo width I tried to add space with depth. Besides guitars take precedence, don't they? They do in my world.TongueBig Grin

Oiy! Guitar players...LOL. Brings back a memory of that famous Mix cartoon of the producer in the control room telling the engineer to kill the guitar player...and there's bullet hole in the control room glass and a guitar player flying through the air, ass over fender...and the engineer beaming a satisfied smirk on his face as the gun smokes in his hand!
OK. So it's not all that bad. Actually sounds better at lower volumes. Uh-oh! did I just say something wrong? Low volume???
Tongue

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

01-08-2019, 01:06 AM
(30-07-2019 03:39 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  Oiy! Guitar players...LOL. Brings back a memory of that famous Mix cartoon of the producer in the control room telling the engineer to kill the guitar player...and there's bullet hole in the control room glass and a guitar player flying through the air, ass over fender...and the engineer beaming a satisfied smirk on his face as the gun smokes in his hand!
OK. So it's not all that bad. Actually sounds better at lower volumes. Uh-oh! did I just say something wrong? Low volume???
Tongue

Thanks for the smile whist having my morning coffee.Big Grin

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: