Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 2.78 Average
Wood Bros. - Honey Drippin' - Updated
29-07-2019, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2019 08:46 PM by Thomas Mueller.)
RE: Wood Bros. - Honey Drippin'
(29-07-2019 05:20 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  
(29-07-2019 04:06 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  Well I think thats a shame that those higher end pa boxes don't get a chance often to be used as home/studio speakers, because from sonic definition and soundwise in general, these can sound quite good actually if handled properly and used in an acoustically well threated room. I encountered a bunch of problems with them first, like strong low end room resonances and lack of highs due to the fairly narrow dispersion of the hf horn, but with a bit of work and fiddling with listening positions (I sit about 4 meters away from them) they sound really nice and I would like to get the chance to compare them to some higher end studio monitors as well. As I said they are well suited for my personal sound taste as I use them for club gigs as well and know them well sonically and can also listen to music on them at high spl most studio monitors aren't capable of.

Monitoring in non-ideal rooms is tough enough with near fields and even more problematic when using mid or wide fields. 4 meters or roughly 15 feet away, is a long ways away from a listening position and represents a VERY large room and brings the room into the equation at a very high degree. The question then becomes, "how do they sound at low volume"? Mixing for playback has a great deal to do with how a mix sounds at all volumes, especially moderate to low volume and getting a good idea of that perspective is really tough when your monitors are so far away. Do you audition your mixes in headphones or other playback systems? My mid-field RoRs get LOUD but are only 1 meter away from me which helps eliminate the room especially at lower volumes. But they are not my go to monitors for mixing. They are great when examining instruments in a mix to hear all the tonality at higher volumes but most of my mixing takes place on desktop speakers. The mix is then tested on headphones, the RoRs and my phone in both stereo AND mono.

Live mixing is temporal. I mixed live for many years and I know how much you can get away with in that venue.
Yeah of course I listen on different volumes, I'm not always cranking up those boxes just because I can. I know about the ear behaviour and its relation to volume (louder-better) and the different hearing threshold for various frequencies and therefore the lower sensitivity for lows and highs at low volume.
I also swith between stereo and mono to check for phase issues. My room is very well acoustically threated and has a reverberation time of under 500ms, I also took special effort in reducing low frequency reverberations. The high distance to the speakers is because of their physical properties, esp. of the CD horn, which is meant to "throw" the hf over longer distances and its dispersion is too narrow at, say, 1 meter distance. The speakers are also about 4m apart from each other, facing 45 degrees inwards, so apart from the side lenghts I have a pretty good stereo triangle there. I find the nexos relatively neutral over the frequency spectrum also on low volumes (might be due to the dynamic filtering the controller does), an ev elx115 which I also often use or even a yamaha dxr15 sound a lot thinner when used at lower volumes, so I chose the nexos; they are also best for recorded music, I check the acoustic of a venue and the sound system before a gig with music and here they also sound the best I found out.
Even in shitty venues, which I also encountered often enough, they are still the easiest boxes to control and get decent sound of with proper positioning and eq.
Yes I also use headphones when mixing tracks, the way I use them in live situations (to pfl and make adjustments to individual channels), but for the mix as
a whole I use the speakers. I also have a "normal" hifi system next door with a pair of old quadral montan mk1, which in comparison to the nexos have a lot "warmer" sound, so they sound like a cheap hifi system with loudness function (boosted low end on those), the nexos are more neutral in comparison. As said in my signature, i prefer live mixing for the reason that i don't have to take into account numerous possible playback devices and listening volumes there, I either bring my own boxes that I know how to eq and how they behave in different venues or have an installed system that I get used to, and i use the main system eq before a show to calibrate the system and only slightly throughout the show to compensate for eg. temperature changes (rather irrelevant in indoor venues) or changing audience size, so I can concentrate on mixing the show and don't have to worry about too much stuff.
I also don't like to do monitor sound, on smaller gigs I have to do them from the FOH position, but on larger gigs with a seperate monitor position I only do FOH mixing and let anyone else fiddle with all the monitor mixes. So that's my concept in general, to keep it simple and use the equipment I know and love, hence the home PA, and if it sounds good on this reference system, it shouldn't sound like crap on a car hifi or ipod either I think.

The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
Quote this message in a reply

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: