Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 2.78 Average
Wood Bros. - Honey Drippin' - Updated
28-07-2019, 04:04 PM
RE: Wood Bros. - Honey Drippin'
(27-07-2019 04:49 AM)Shul Wrote:  I like that kick tone you got.
I don't agree with this being muddy. Sounds clear enough to me. I have to say however this is rich in the midrange.. sounds very analog like so maybe that's what thomas is hearing?
I haven't heard the raw tracks so I wouldn't know how to place this but I would say bass, guitar, and vocals in the middle do make the mix quite full in the center. You seem to have controlled this great though i can hear everything in it.

My cherry picks would be the voice could come up a bit more and maybe more of a less "boxy" eq on it would be more towards my taste. However your analog and organic sound goes well with the vocal eq choice.
I shall give it a go.. sounds like fun Big Grin

Thanks for your talented ears on this. Great observations. You know I pretty much tried to go with the organics of most songs I mix so I think the thick middle is a reflection of the tones given and I tried to find a place for them all. To me, that would reflect the energy and intent of the composition the best. Looking forard to listening to your contribution.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2019, 05:38 PM
it's always funny to see children give people 1 star just because their mix sounds like crap.. I remember giving you 5 and now it's down to 3 Lol... oh well what you gonna do? they are kids after all xD

"Mixing for me is the opportunity you get to explore a song to detail and deliver the feeling intended. Mixing is more than faders and knobs, Mixing defines the soul of a song."
Saludos!
28-07-2019, 05:51 PM
(28-07-2019 05:38 PM)Shul Wrote:  it's always funny to see children give people 1 star just because their mix sounds like crap.. I remember giving you 5 and now it's down to 3 Lol... oh well what you gonna do? they are kids after all xD

Didn't even notice the stars and I don't think anyone pays attention to them, do they? I never use them.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

28-07-2019, 06:56 PM
I always give myself 1 Star mostly out of protest for everyone who gives themselves 5 when the post. I never pay attention to them either.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
-
A mix doesn't have to be good, it just hast to sound good.
28-07-2019, 08:56 PM
I did pay attention to them at some point. Especially when they give someone 1 and their mix is not a 1star ... I really don't care for the stars much.. but I don't really like when they 1star out of envy Lol

"Mixing for me is the opportunity you get to explore a song to detail and deliver the feeling intended. Mixing is more than faders and knobs, Mixing defines the soul of a song."
Saludos!
29-07-2019, 12:11 PM
Hi Mtc,
Cool mix, balance is very good. Vocal sound nice and open, Snare could have more body, miks is a bit mono centered, but i know how hard to figure out the placement gtrs in it. Maybe harmonica could be panned somehow to give more of the width in the mix. No complains really despite stereo image. Well done Smile Cheers
29-07-2019, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2019 03:02 PM by Thomas Mueller.)
(28-07-2019 03:58 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  
(27-07-2019 08:44 AM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  
(26-07-2019 10:30 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  
(26-07-2019 09:55 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  Wonderful resonances between 300-500hz. Makes it sound really boomy and muddy especially on louder volumes (On my home PA)

Hmm. Muddy. Not wonderful.

Thanks for your ears on this. BTW, what is your home PA?

A pair of NEXO PS15s (the old ones, not the R2), with the TD Controller of course, driven by a Camco Tecton 32.4.

It could also be due to the bass reverb as dangerous mentioned.
Don't mind my weird taste.

You are a live engineer to the bone, aren't you. Those Nexos are floor wedges! Interesting choice for a home speaker. And I'm not sure you have enough power for them...LOL

You don't know anything about those speakers do you? They are usable both as monitor wedges and Main FOH Speakers (I use them often in small to medium sized clubs, either fullrange or with subs), they have a 90 degrees rotatable horn for that purpose. And the Tecton has about 1000 watts at 8 ohms per channel... as I don't drive them to the max it's more than enough power to achieve approx. 115 db in my room (40m²). At least i could not get it into clipping before my ears bled lol

The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
29-07-2019, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2019 03:20 PM by Mixinthecloud.)
(29-07-2019 02:37 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  
(26-07-2019 10:30 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  
(26-07-2019 09:55 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  Wonderful resonances between 300-500hz. Makes it sound really boomy and muddy especially on louder volumes (On my home PA)

Hmm. Muddy. Not wonderful.

A pair of NEXO PS15s (the old ones, not the R2), with the TD Controller of course, driven by a Camco Tecton 32.4.

You are a live engineer to the bone, aren't you. Those Nexos are floor wedges! Interesting choice for a home speaker. And I'm not sure you have enough power for them...LOL

You don't know anything about those speakers do you? They are usable both as monitor wedges and Main FOH Speakers (I use them often in small to medium sized clubs, either fullrange or with subs), they have a 90 degrees rotatable horn for that purpose. And the Tecton has about 1000 watts at 8 ohms per channel... as I don't drive them to the max it's more than enough power to achieve approx. 115 db in my room (40m²). At least i could not get it into clipping before my ears bled lol

I did speak to the Nexo techs at the last CTIA show in Orlando. They were kind of assholes actually. However their products a very good. Funny that I've never seen floor wedges/pole mounted PA speakers used as studio monitors anywhere. Not even Meyer's. I wonder why that is? The last horn loaded monitors I used were Urei 803s. Nice and punchy. I'd love to have a pair of Fostex or TADs with the 18s and the teak horns. I just don't think they'd fit in my small office though.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

29-07-2019, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2019 04:13 PM by Thomas Mueller.)
(29-07-2019 03:19 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  
(29-07-2019 02:37 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  
(26-07-2019 10:30 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  Hmm. Muddy. Not wonderful.

I did speak to the Nexo techs at the last CTIA show in Orlando. They were kind of assholes actually. However their products a very good. Funny that I've never seen floor wedges/pole mounted PA speakers used as studio monitors anywhere. Not even Meyer's. I wonder why that is? The last horn loaded monitors I used were Urei 803s. Nice and punchy. I'd love to have a pair of Fostex or TADs with the 18s and the teak horns. I just don't think they'd fit in my small office though.
Well I think thats a shame that those higher end pa boxes don't get a chance often to be used as home/studio speakers, because from sonic definition and soundwise in general, these can sound quite good actually if handled properly and used in an acoustically well threated room. I encountered a bunch of problems with them first, like strong low end room resonances and lack of highs due to the fairly narrow dispersion of the hf horn, but with a bit of work and fiddling with listening positions (I sit about 4 meters away from them) they sound really nice and I would like to get the chance to compare them to some higher end studio monitors as well. As I said they are well suited for my personal sound taste as I use them for club gigs as well and know them well sonically and can also listen to music on them at high spl most studio monitors aren't capable of.

The good thing about live mixing is that you don't have to worry about how it sounds later on someone's soda can. You got your live acts, your mixing desk, your PA, and your audience that you directly connect to and you have to get it right without the possibility to fiddle with the settings afterwards.
29-07-2019, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2019 06:17 PM by Mixinthecloud.)
(29-07-2019 04:06 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  Well I think thats a shame that those higher end pa boxes don't get a chance often to be used as home/studio speakers, because from sonic definition and soundwise in general, these can sound quite good actually if handled properly and used in an acoustically well threated room. I encountered a bunch of problems with them first, like strong low end room resonances and lack of highs due to the fairly narrow dispersion of the hf horn, but with a bit of work and fiddling with listening positions (I sit about 4 meters away from them) they sound really nice and I would like to get the chance to compare them to some higher end studio monitors as well. As I said they are well suited for my personal sound taste as I use them for club gigs as well and know them well sonically and can also listen to music on them at high spl most studio monitors aren't capable of.

Monitoring in non-ideal rooms is tough enough with near fields and even more problematic when using mid or wide fields. 4 meters or roughly 15 feet away, is a long ways away from a listening position and represents a large room and brings the room into the equation at a very high degree. The question then becomes, "how do they sound at low volume"? Mixing for playback has a great deal to do with how a mix sounds at all volumes, especially moderate to low volume and getting a good idea of that perspective is really tough when your monitors are so far away. Do you audition your mixes in headphones or other playback systems? My mid-field RoRs get LOUD but are only 1 meter away from me which helps eliminate the room especially at lower volumes. But they are not my go to monitors for mixing. They are great when examining instruments in a mix to hear all the tonality at higher volumes but most of my mixing takes place on desktop speakers. The mix is then tested on headphones, the RoRs and my phone in both stereo AND mono.

Live mixing is temporal. I mixed live for many years and I know how much you can get away with in that venue.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Support my video work!
Advertisement: