Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 2.78 Average
Wood Bros. - Honey Drippin' - Updated
24-07-2019, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 04:42 PM by Mixinthecloud.)
Wood Bros. - Honey Drippin' - Updated
Lots of challenges in this high energy romp from the talented and fun Wood Bros.

First was that dang shaker. I'd like to take the drummer out to the woodshed on that choice...
Second is the guitar. Two channels of very different sounding mics. I tried all kinds of configurations on this; both centered, panned full L/R, panned partially L/R and various shades in between. Compression, no compression, EQ on each mic and the buss... Lots of tries. I ended up settling on partial L/R panning to give it some width, Presonus stock Pro EQ on each mic and an stereo API 550B on the buss, which sent to a slight widener and the main reverb chain. I fiddled with the buss EQ and level for a long time until I settled on the final settings.

The main reverb chain had a compressor, delay (1/4 note stereo delay, filtered with very few repeats then into a Room Reverb and then an EQ for tonal shaping. This was tricky but I think it gave me the depth I was looking for with whatever I sent through the chain (guitar, Lead and BG Vocals OHs, Room mic).

The bass was complex too ending with an in-line Little Plate to give it width and depth.

-13.2 LUFS

The Wood Brothers - Honey Jar - Mix 2

Remastered to lift a touch of fog in the top end.
-13.3 LUFS; 5.8 LU

I hope this sparks some conversations.

Thanks for listening,
mITc

.mp3   The Wood Brothers - Honey Jar.mp3 --  (Download: 12.86 MB)

.mp3   The Wood Brothers - Honey Jar - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.09 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2019, 09:55 PM
RE: Wood Bros. - Honey Drippin'
(24-07-2019 08:12 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  Lots of challenges in this high energy romp from the talented and fun Wood Bros.

First was that dang shaker. I'd like to take the drummer out to the woodshed on that choice...
Second is the guitar. Two channels of very different sounding mics. I tried all kinds of configurations on this; both centered, panned full L/R, panned partially L/R and various shades in between. Compression, no compression, EQ on each mic and the buss... Lots of tries. I ended up settling on partial L/R panning to give it some width, Presonus stock Pro EQ on each mic and an stereo API 550B on the buss, which sent to a slight widener and the main reverb chain. I fiddled with the buss EQ and level for a long time until I settled on the final settings.

The main reverb chain had a compressor, delay (1/4 note stereo delay, filtered with very few repeats then into a Room Reverb and then an EQ for tonal shaping. This was tricky but I think it gave me the depth I was looking for with whatever I sent through the chain (guitar, Lead and BG Vocals OHs, Room mic).

The bass was complex too ending with an in-line Little Plate to give it width and depth.

-13.2 LUFS

I hope this sparks some conversations.

Thanks for listening,
mITc

Wonderful resonances between 300-500hz. Makes it sound really boomy and muddy especially on louder volumes (On my home PA)
26-07-2019, 10:30 PM
(26-07-2019 09:55 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  Wonderful resonances between 300-500hz. Makes it sound really boomy and muddy especially on louder volumes (On my home PA)

Hmm. Muddy. Not wonderful.

Thanks for your ears on this. BTW, what is your home PA?

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

26-07-2019, 11:16 PM
Sounds good. I'm listening on an unfamiliar pair of headphones that are a little bass-y. That said even then the balance feels good. I don't know if I'd call it 'muddiness" but I do hear the bass tending to 'resonate' on some lower mids. I think that's partially just the part/instrument/recording. I think it's just a bit uneven. That said, I think that it's possible that the reverb you have the bass going to might be exasperating the issue.
I kinda like dropping the lead voc during the "telefunken" part.

I think the bass thing was the only thing I noticed. Though again, I'm listening on bassy headphones but for the most part the mix feels very well balanced tonally.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
27-07-2019, 04:49 AM
I like that kick tone you got.
I don't agree with this being muddy. Sounds clear enough to me. I have to say however this is rich in the midrange.. sounds very analog like so maybe that's what thomas is hearing?
I haven't heard the raw tracks so I wouldn't know how to place this but I would say bass, guitar, and vocals in the middle do make the mix quite full in the center. You seem to have controlled this great though i can hear everything in it.

My cherry picks would be the voice could come up a bit more and maybe more of a less "boxy" eq on it would be more towards my taste. However your analog and organic sound goes well with the vocal eq choice.
I shall give it a go.. sounds like fun Big Grin

"Mixing for me is the opportunity you get to explore a song to detail and deliver the feeling intended. Mixing is more than faders and knobs, Mixing defines the soul of a song."
Saludos!
27-07-2019, 06:19 AM
It works for me Mitc, probably of favorite mix so far. You have lost a bit of the detail in the bass with the reverb, specially in the upper register, but otherwise it sounds great. It's tastefully balanced, defined and spaced, oh and that guitar tone is perfect. Big Grin
27-07-2019, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2019 08:57 AM by Thomas Mueller.)
(26-07-2019 10:30 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  
(26-07-2019 09:55 PM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  Wonderful resonances between 300-500hz. Makes it sound really boomy and muddy especially on louder volumes (On my home PA)

A pair of NEXO PS15s (the old ones, not the R2), with the TD Controller of course, driven by a Camco Tecton 32.4.

It could also be due to the bass reverb as dangerous mentioned.
Don't mind my weird taste.
28-07-2019, 03:51 PM
(26-07-2019 11:16 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:  Sounds good. I'm listening on an unfamiliar pair of headphones that are a little bass-y. That said even then the balance feels good. I don't know if I'd call it 'muddiness" but I do hear the bass tending to 'resonate' on some lower mids. I think that's partially just the part/instrument/recording. I think it's just a bit uneven. That said, I think that it's possible that the reverb you have the bass going to might be exasperating the issue.
I kinda like dropping the lead voc during the "telefunken" part.

I think the bass thing was the only thing I noticed. Though again, I'm listening on bassy headphones but for the most part the mix feels very well balanced tonally.

Seems to be a consensus on something in the low mids/upper bass. Whether it is the bass or the reverb on it, I'm not even sure. Thaks for your ears on this.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

28-07-2019, 03:52 PM
(27-07-2019 06:19 AM)Dangerous Wrote:  It works for me Mitc, probably of favorite mix so far. You have lost a bit of the detail in the bass with the reverb, specially in the upper register, but otherwise it sounds great. It's tastefully balanced, defined and spaced, oh and that guitar tone is perfect. Big Grin

Thanks Dave.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

28-07-2019, 03:58 PM
(27-07-2019 08:44 AM)Thomas Mueller Wrote:  
(26-07-2019 10:30 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  

A pair of NEXO PS15s (the old ones, not the R2), with the TD Controller of course, driven by a Camco Tecton 32.4.

It could also be due to the bass reverb as dangerous mentioned.
Don't mind my weird taste.

You are a live engineer to the bone, aren't you. Those Nexos are floor wedges! Interesting choice for a home speaker. And I'm not sure you have enough power for them...LOL

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: