Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CONTACT MIX
My take feedback is appreciated and given back

.mp3    CONTACT.mp3 --  (Download: 6.13 MB)

.mp3    CONTACT2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.12 MB)

.mp3    CONTACT 3.1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)

.mp3    CONTACT 4.mp3 --  (Download: 6.13 MB)

UPDATE
I just listened to CONTACT 3. It's only the first minute of the song.
That said I think it sounds really good. Maybe my favorite version of this song I've heard so far. I like the clarity of the drums while also having some grit. Did you add samples? The bass is big but not overwhelming. The horns feel a little small and could come up a hair to add to the dynamics. The vocals sound pretty good. My only 'complaint' is that the horns and vocals are a little dry and could use a little more 'air' and space around them. It might just help them breath a little more.
I'd like to hear the rest but what I've heard so far I really like.
Thanks Roy for the heads up didn't realize it was only a min updated it and took your suggestions. I went totally in the box for the mix and out the box for the master think that workflow is best for me. Didn't use samples just the tracks that were there.

Thanks for the listen and the critique ill be checking some of the mixes out myself
We all know the difficulties with the vocal in this recording. Another issue, at least for me, was the disparity between the chop guitar's chops and the fuller body of the figures between the chops. I feel the full tone palette of guitar gets a bit lost in your presentation. I also think the vocal is either too present or too loud. I generally like the volume of the horns at the start, however when it came to the horn break, they seemed to lose their perspective and stay a bit buried as the song builds dynamically toward the end which puts the vocal even more out of context. Hmm. Sorry for the bad review. Respectfully, mITc.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Now hearing the whole mix I still like it. I still think the horns would benefit from more space. That might help them stand out a little more later in the song when things get a bit louder. I do agree with MitC that the vocal does feel loud and present or at least, to me, peaky. While I don't have any really issue with the horn level -though if they came up I wouldn't complain- or the guitar I wonder if maybe taming the vocal might give more rooms to those instruments to stand out a bit more.
(09-08-2019, 05:25 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: We all know the difficulties with the vocal in this recording. Another issue, at least for me, was the disparity between the chop guitar's chops and the fuller body of the figures between the chops. I feel the full tone palette of guitar gets a bit lost in your presentation. I also think the vocal is either too present or too loud. I generally like the volume of the horns at the start, however when it came to the horn break, they seemed to lose their perspective and stay a bit buried as the song builds dynamically toward the end which puts the vocal even more out of context. Hmm. Sorry for the bad review. Respectfully, mITc.

Thanks for the listen. I played it back yea the vocal def can come down some plus the tone on the guitars could use a bit of work. Not a bad review just minor adjustments appreciate the constructive critique that's what we are here for

Cheers
(09-08-2019, 05:39 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Now hearing the whole mix I still like it. I still think the horns would benefit from more space. That might help them stand out a little more later in the song when things get a bit louder. I do agree with MitC that the vocal does feel loud and present or at least, to me, peaky. While I don't have any really issue with the horn level -though if they came up I wouldn't complain- or the guitar I wonder if maybe taming the vocal might give more rooms to those instruments to stand out a bit more.

Yea you are right turning down the vocal def opened things up a bit. Eq'ed the horns a bit differently and tried to add some air to the vocals

Thanks again Roy for the pointers much appreciated since im just getting into all in the box
(09-08-2019, 08:38 PM)sagalegin Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 05:39 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Now hearing the whole mix I still like it. I still think the horns would benefit from more space. That might help them stand out a little more later in the song when things get a bit louder. I do agree with MitC that the vocal does feel loud and present or at least, to me, peaky. While I don't have any really issue with the horn level -though if they came up I wouldn't complain- or the guitar I wonder if maybe taming the vocal might give more rooms to those instruments to stand out a bit more.

Yea you are right turning down the vocal def opened things up a bit. Eq'ed the horns a bit differently and tried to add some air to the vocals

Thanks again Roy for the pointers much appreciated since im just getting into all in the box
I get it. It can be a tricky transition. You'll get the hang of it though.
As far as mix 4, I think those changes helped. I think the vocal needs a bit of de-essing. The hi hat at the top feels pretty aggressive. The hi hat and the sibilance on the vocal feel like it's in the same range so that's why I'm thinking it's due to the leakage. One thing to try to see if it works is muting the vocal at the top to have the drums be a little cleaner. It may or may not work depending on how much the drum leakage in the vocal plays into the overall sound. You can get away with a lot at that transition because the vocal coming in catches the ear's attention.