Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 2 Average
Kat Wright-Contact-RoyM Mix
06-08-2019, 04:04 AM
RE: Kat Wright-Contact-RoyM Mix
I know. I've been ITB for a long time now but that's one thing I just can't seem to shake. That and automation. I do automate stuff but it's taking me a while to be able to do it on the fly. We never had it in the studio I used to work at so it wasn't something I was used to when we moved over to ProTools. I'd just draw moves as opposed to riding faders. When I do it now I love it but I'm still somewhat reluctant to put a Fare in "touch" and make some moves. However quick that may be.
I'd certainly consider putting a reverb on the Mix bus it for, say, an acoustic ensemble but that's rare. I like having the control. And, I agree, I like having everything I need in my laptop. I still may pine occasionally, for instance, the Symphonic setting on the SPX 90 or some reverbs on a Lexicon but there's no benefit to having to go through all the work to get outboard happening in an ITB setup. I'll just find something else that works and not lose focus.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2019, 01:28 PM
(06-08-2019 04:04 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote:  I know. I've been ITB for a long time now but that's one thing I just can't seem to shake. That and automation. I do automate stuff but it's taking me a while to be able to do it on the fly. We never had it in the studio I used to work at so it wasn't something I was used to when we moved over to ProTools. I'd just draw moves as opposed to riding faders. When I do it now I love it but I'm still somewhat reluctant to put a Fare in "touch" and make some moves. However quick that may be.
I'd certainly consider putting a reverb on the Mix bus it for, say, an acoustic ensemble but that's rare. I like having the control. And, I agree, I like having everything I need in my laptop. I still may pine occasionally, for instance, the Symphonic setting on the SPX 90 or some reverbs on a Lexicon but there's no benefit to having to go through all the work to get outboard happening in an ITB setup. I'll just find something else that works and not lose focus.

I also write my automation by dragging envelopes or adjusting waveform levels. However, I think this mainly due to not having any type of control interface. I would love to have a 8 or 16 channel controller to do some level automation with real faders. That would give me back some artistic control from my finger tips.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

09-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Hi Roy mix is good. The drums need some thickening to bring em out some like kick and snare. I like the bass and horns. I know you said your experimenting with fx but i think the vocal fx is good just a little loud bringing it down i think would help it gel better although it works at the end.

Overall great mix
14-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Hi Roy i like mix2 the only thing i think is that the vocal has too much reverb,maybe dial it back and automate?well done on the stage field vibe.

Reaper user
14-08-2019, 07:40 PM
(09-08-2019 09:01 PM)sagalegin Wrote:  Hi Roy mix is good. The drums need some thickening to bring em out some like kick and snare. I like the bass and horns. I know you said your experimenting with fx but i think the vocal fx is good just a little loud bringing it down i think would help it gel better although it works at the end.

Overall great mix
Sorry. This reply passed me by. You're right, the vocal effects were probably a little heavy handed. I was going for a mid 90s thing, I suppose.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
14-08-2019, 07:42 PM
(14-08-2019 07:36 PM)Cudjoe Wrote:  Hi Roy i like mix2 the only thing i think is that the vocal has too much reverb,maybe dial it back and automate?well done on the stage field vibe.
What!? Are you kidding!? How dare you!!!! You made a powerful enemy today friend...

Just kidding, you're right. I over did it. Somewhat intentionally but I went too far. I'm ok with that. It's too much yeah but at least now we know, yeah? I'm hesitant to look at this one again because I'll just go down a rabbit hole and start from scratch.

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: