Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Penniless Wild
Oh yes, it feels good to do some late-night mixing.

Took a more dark-analogue approach to this one. Lots of low-end distortions, lots of compressed verbs and a phased slap got this one in the right mood. Trick vocal.

As always, all in logic pro x and none of my outboard gear.

STEMS Downloadable via LINK Including effects stems.
Gimme the STEMZ
** Edit - If you use my stems for your mix, please mention it in your mix description. If you use them, I will be able to hear it due to the little changes I've made to the tracks, and I've heard my stems at least 4 times in mixes by others.
All stems are bounced at 1.1 start with plugins enabled at mix volumes and should just drop in to a daw per my mix - feel free to download and solo to make comparisons. Any questions? Ask away.

A brief explanation of my approach to this one:
- A mid-heavy kick and distorted gated snare with a little compression.
- slap delay on toms, no compression just a gate.
- squashed room mics - so the sound and tone comes through without ruining the dynamics of the drums
- separate lowband/hiband bass channels for compression and tone control
- guitars have a little overdrive and a long modulated plate - no eq/gate/compression necessary
- keys have a little drive also, but compressed and darkened slightly then sat right back in the mix for tone and body support
- BVs are cleaned, edited, overdriven, EQed, pitch-shifted, compressed, overdriven some more, EQed again to make brighter, FX - slap, plate, hall and delay.
- LV is compressed, EQed and overdriven, then a slap, little hall and 3 separate delays mixed in slightly.
- master has a highpass filter @ 35hz, a very subtle overdrive - barely noticeable, and a limiter. No compression or EQ.

.mp3    Penniless Wild_Seat BackM1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

~
Other Mixes
I like it. It's over the top but I think this song needs that vibe. I kinda feel like guitar 1 on the left is some how disconnected from the rest of the band. It's almost too clean. Though I offer no solution to how to alleviate that.

But yeah, overall it's has a lot of vibe but the sound of the mix helps the song.
Hey Roy,

Yeah great feedback mate. Its a tricky song to mix but my goodness it was fun. Yeah, I would probably have to agree with you on the left side guitar. It is a bit clean. I could increase the attach I have on the compression - its just before a distortion but the comp is controlling the distortion so it only just breaks up. If I increase the attack, the picking will dirty up a little bit more but leave a cleaner tail. I'll give that a go maybe if I get some time.
~
Other Mixes
This has a Doors-ie, Zeppelin-ie vibe about it. I think I'd like to hear the intro guitar line modulate back dynamically after the intro to give the mix better balance throughout. However, the mix is interesting, unique and engaging. Nicely done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(26-07-2019, 03:30 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: This has a Doors-ie, Zeppelin-ie vibe about it. I think I'd like to hear the intro guitar line modulate back dynamically after the intro to give the mix better balance throughout. However, the mix is interesting, unique and engaging. Nicely done.

Yeah cool, cheers mate. What do you mean by modulate back? You mean automate or like a sidechain or something?
~
Other Mixes
Cool mix.
(29-07-2019, 05:17 AM)NewtonThomas Wrote: Cool mix.

Cheers mate, it's a cool song
~
Other Mixes
(27-07-2019, 06:17 AM)Quathamer Wrote:
(26-07-2019, 03:30 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: This has a Doors-ie, Zeppelin-ie vibe about it. I think I'd like to hear the intro guitar line modulate back dynamically after the intro to give the mix better balance throughout. However, the mix is interesting, unique and engaging. Nicely done.

Yeah cool, cheers mate. What do you mean by modulate back? You mean automate or like a sidechain or something?

Volume. Sorry, was trying to be subtle.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(30-07-2019, 02:52 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Volume. Sorry, was trying to be subtle.

Oh yeah, I get you and I suppose you could have it come back, but I think the fact it stays with you through the whole song is a good thing. It's such an integral part to the track's energy, I feel like if it came down after everything else came in, it would be lost. But I'm all done with this mix now, I won't revisit it again.
~
Other Mixes