Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2 Average
Honey Jar-RoyM Mix
20-07-2019, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2019 03:27 PM by RoyMatthews.)
Honey Jar-RoyM Mix
Here's my attempt at Honey Jar.
Mix 1: TWB-HoneyJar-RMmix01d
I can't get this one to sit right for some reason. In the end I think it's ok but I might just be used to it. Any thoughts?

Mix 2: TWB-HoneyJar-RMmix02e
I gave it another shot from scratch but I don't think it's much of an improvement, if at all. I kinda thought I had it for a bit and then it fell apart. [edit] After listening again after posting I'm not a fan. There's parts I like and things I learned to try again but for whatever reason I can't get a handle on this one. C'est la vie.

Mix 3: TWB-HoneyJarRMmix03f_mas
I can't help it. This song tasks me. I'll admit this is probably a miss as well. I can no longer judge. I just needed to go at this one again. Ok. I'm done...I think.

Mix 4: TWB-HoneyJar-RMmix04e
I did another. The difference is I kinda like this version. Though I think the bass still might not be right and overall may get pinched by the end. Or it might just be me listening too much.

Mix 5: TWB-HoneyJar-RMmix05d
I know, we're all sick of this one but I was bored.

As always feel free to critique or comment.
Cheers

.mp3   TWB-HoneyJar-RMmix01d.mp3 --  (Download: 12.12 MB)

.mp3   TWB-HoneyJar-RMmix02e.mp3 --  (Download: 12.45 MB)

.mp3   TWB-HoneyJarRMmix03f_mas.mp3 --  (Download: 12.12 MB)

.mp3   TWB-HoneyJar-RMmix04e.mp3 --  (Download: 12.15 MB)

.mp3   TWB-HoneyJar-RMmix05d.mp3 --  (Download: 12.19 MB)

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2019, 05:10 PM
RE: Honey Jar-RoyM Mix
Hi Roy

Sounds great Roy .. everything sits nicely to me, full and nice low end. Listened to it on the Events and my little 3in. box in mono and works nicely!
Solid mix!!

KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
20-07-2019, 06:15 PM
(20-07-2019 05:10 PM)KMuzic Wrote:  Hi Roy

Sounds great Roy .. everything sits nicely to me, full and nice low end. Listened to it on the Events and my little 3in. box in mono and works nicely!
Solid mix!!

KSmile
Cool. Thanks for listening.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
21-07-2019, 11:36 AM
i like it Roy. It has that earthy, slightly dirty sound that works with this style. I think you've presented the performance favourably.
21-07-2019, 01:20 PM
(21-07-2019 11:36 AM)Dangerous Wrote:  i like it Roy. It has that earthy, slightly dirty sound that works with this style. I think you've presented the performance favourably.
Thanks, Dave!

23-07-2019, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2019 04:25 AM by Mixinthecloud.)
I am going to have dissent here, guys. This attempt just feels overly pushed. The compression is pretty severe and not working well with the content this time. As a result, I would agree it just doesn't sit quite right. Roy, your unease with this is definitely felt. This is not your usual great work. Tone it down, let it breathe. There are some great players and you put them in a dog fight here which is not working, at least for me. Sorry 'bout that.

I listened to KZMusic's mix and had it cranked and it was clean and ballsy. At the same playback level this rattled my teeth and made my eyes water.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

23-07-2019, 02:09 PM
(23-07-2019 04:23 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  I am going to have dissent here, guys. This attempt just feels overly pushed. The compression is pretty severe and not working well with the content this time. As a result, I would agree it just doesn't sit quite right. Roy, your unease with this is definitely felt. This is not your usual great work. Tone it down, let it breathe. There are some great players and you put them in a dog fight here which is not working, at least for me. Sorry 'bout that.

I listened to KZMusic's mix and had it cranked and it was clean and ballsy. At the same playback level this rattled my teeth and made my eyes water.
Fair enough and I suspect you're right. I was probably trying to force it go in a direction it didn't want to go. Never force a mix! Oh well. Unfortunately I've already off-loaded this one to make disk space. Maybe I'll give it another shot from scratch.
Thanks for listening.

24-07-2019, 01:22 AM
Added a new version to the original post.

24-07-2019, 06:33 AM
The toughest part of this song is that damn shaker. It just sounds like distortion and is really difficult to hear past. It adds nothing to the song, in my opinion except annoyance.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]ud.com

25-07-2019, 11:45 PM
(24-07-2019 06:33 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  The toughest part of this song is that damn shaker. It just sounds like distortion and is really difficult to hear past. It adds nothing to the song, in my opinion except annoyance.
I don't really hate the shaker to be honest.

Anyhoo. I added yet another mix because i'm a masochist. Ta.

Support my video work!
Advertisement: