Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My master of Bitter by FytaKyte
So this is pretty much first mix although have experience in music making etc...

I've mixed this for way to long. Some things I tried to do; make the drums a bit lighter, I took away harmonics in guitar solo for a more epic guitar solo by throwing some mangled verb on it by eventide, I thought osme mixes weren't getting that dialouge with the two big guitar sounds... maybe too much through out the song but def at the end. I generally tried to make it anthemic sounding. I know i've given vocals too much verb and he bass maybe bit too much causing it to sit in the front of the mix.

For the song i used cla vocals and guitar, and jjp drums.

Let me know what you think!

thanks

.mp3    Bitter master FytaKyte.mp3 --  (Download: 11.93 MB)

.mp3    Bitter Fytakyte master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.67 MB)

Hi Bombaymox12,

In my humble opinion your mix sounds intriguing at the beginning, but I can't listen to the mix past the start of the Intro because the bass is just too loud.
We all experience difficulties getting good tonal and volume balances right in a mix sometimes (As I often do)! My suggestion to you is to solo the Drum Kit and the Bass Guitar tracks, and then while listening to just the Drums, slowly increase the volume of the Bass Guitar until it sounds good - as if the band were playing together in a room. You might want to return to the Bass and Drums section of the mix a second time, later, after mixing in the Instrument and Vocal tracks as those elements are likely to change the balance again. Anyways, congratulations on your first mix! I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers,
Eastwood

Nobody cares what plugins you use, it's only what comes out of the speakers that matters.
(18-07-2019, 10:37 PM)Eastwood Wrote: Hi Bombaymox12,

In my humble opinion your mix sounds intriguing at the beginning, but I can't listen to the mix past the start of the Intro because the bass is just too loud.
We all experience difficulties getting good tonal and volume balances right in a mix sometimes (As I often do)! My suggestion to you is to solo the Drum Kit and the Bass Guitar tracks, and then while listening to just the Drums, slowly increase the volume of the Bass Guitar until it sounds good - as if the band were playing together in a room. You might want to return to the Bass and Drums section of the mix a second time, later, after mixing in the Instrument and Vocal tracks as those elements are likely to change the balance again. Anyways, congratulations on your first mix! I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers,
Eastwood

Hey, thanks for taking time to listen to my mix and your feedback. I've made an update now so feel free to listen. Sorry took so long to respond but It took me some time to muster up the effort to try and have a stab at this mix again as I had listened to it so many times.

Since i'm new to this whole malark, I decided to focus on isolating each instrument into their frequency areas to try and make a balanced mix. I actually cut loads off the guitar after watching some vids about eqing guitar but it was too much. I hadn't muted some parts to listen to others before like you said so I think that helped.

This time I made sure to add the 'filler/garnish' instruments and I think that's a definite improvement. I made the guitar solo a more collaborative effort by making sure all other instruments could be heard.

I still thin k have some issues with volume, and general muddiness or the vocals aren't distinct enough from guitar.

Might call it a day with this one, considering the level I'm at not sure if I can get much more out of this song.

Nice song nonetheless! and thanks for the welcome!

oh, I also don't have monitors, just headphones... so obv going to be some difference