Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May's - Hold on You - Redux Updated
I thought I'd give this fine song another go. It was done without the new snare samples.

What I found was that EQ had to be used very sparingly on the drums or it would start to really interact badly. The snare on this was obviously not what was originally intended considering there were replacements added at a later date. That means most of the snare was coming from the overheads. And the overheads really dictated the character of the drums. Subtlety is the key, I believe.

Guitars also required subtle approaches to not color them adversely against the vocals and drums.

I think I was able to achieve some good balance, depth and power in this new mix.

Please feel free to dispute that.

James May - Hold on You - Mix 2
Took a slightly different approach with this mix.

James May - Hold on You - Mix 3
Same as Mix 2 but with a fade at the end

Thanks for listening,
mITc

.mp3    James May - Hold On You - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)

.mp3    James May - Hold On You.mp3 --  (Download: 7.74 MB)

.mp3    James May - Hold On You - Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.66 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Really nice mix man! I think your snare could come up just a tad, but I understand what you are saying about having to be subtle with it, especially with no samples. Nice vocal treatment and guitars sound nice and sit well. Great job!
(13-07-2019, 08:32 PM)ccjamz Wrote: Really nice mix man! I think your snare could come up just a tad, but I understand what you are saying about having to be subtle with it, especially with no samples. Nice vocal treatment and guitars sound nice and sit well. Great job!

Thanks so much for your good words. Unfortunately the snare at times needs to hide more than come forward. Did the best I could not using the new samples.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Me encantó la limpieza de la voz!
(03-06-2020, 05:26 AM)davidchameleons Wrote: Me encantó la limpieza de la voz!
Smile
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]