Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth Frequencies Mix
A little awkward at times. Smile

.mp3    Life Gets In The Way.mp3 --  (Download: 9.65 MB)

Hi EF, pretty cool stuff... I particularly like the internal balances you got - I think they reflect the intention of the production really well. The basic sounds are very good too - they show a good understanding of the vibe of the track.

A few points I feel could improve the mix:
- The mix feels overly pushed, volume-wise. In the verses it works ok, but the choruses really sound like they are pushing the master buss processing too hard, and the mix gets very saturated and a "mushy" sounding.
- Because of the above, the long term dynamic contrast between verse and chorus seems to get a little lost - the verses don't drop down in intensity like they should and conversely, the choruses lose the inherent impact that the additional density should dictate.
- The huge sounding snare is cool. However, I feel if you pulled back it's explosive "slammed room mics" quality during the quieter verse sections, and then brought it in for the choruses, you would enhance the long term dynamic contour of the narrative more effectively, in line with what I mentioned above in the other two points.
- The kick drum has a pretty "clicky" quality to it. That works well to get it to cut through in the choruses, but again, reducing the "click" during the verses would give a better sense of ramping down the intensity in a way that is more appropriate for that section of the song.
- The mix is a bit muddy overall in the low mids. A cut of about 2.5dB around the 260Hz mark seemed to improve clarity.

Nice work!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hey FytaKyte,

I can tell you're very early in your music making/production process, give yourself another few years & re-visit this, I think your thought process will change dramatically if you work at it. Wink
I agree with the kick, automation there would only help with the production of the song, making the mix sound better. Same with the snare verb, it works in the louder sections of the song, but I hear it as a little trashy in the verses. Too much bottom snare sizzle coming through it type of sound.

I think there is more power from the lows/lower mids you can pull out as well.

Great mix though! It's all well balanced and has some nice smack to it all.