Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Gets in the Way
Thought I would throw a quick mix and master on this track to try out some new hardware. Ended up a lot more wide and loud than I thought, and I like it. thoughts, comments?

.mp3    Life Gets in the Way by Fyta Kyte Final Master Watermarked.mp3 --  (Download: 5.67 MB)

Hey LYR11... Holy-Lotsa-Sub-Bass, Batman!

Overall, the mix sounds pretty good in the highs and mids, but the low end sounds much more appropriate to a hip hop track than a rock song - it's pretty much being dominated by the kick drum. You have a TON of stuff happening below 30hz which is really pumping my sub like mad, but not really enhancing the groove of the song in a way that interacts with the backbeat of the snare and the bassline.

If you haven't got access to a sub, check out the mix on a car system and compare it to another commercial mix of similar style and you'll hear what I mean.

I downloaded the mix to check out what was going on and I noticed when I high passed the kick to where it sat more reasonably in the mix, the area centred around 150hz was really quite attenuated. That is where the "meat" of the bass sound is, so I noticed when I turned up that area, the song began to groove a little better in the low end. I don't think the answer is that simple though, because it also brought up some unwanted stuff in the low end of the vocal. My recommendation would be to re-address the kick/bass relationship on a track level.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Oh bummer. Its 2019. Heavy sub lows are part of rock music.

I acknowledge I could have been less liberal with the low end, but shit, it rocks the low end on Focal setup in the studio with the sub, and in my 4 door jeep, and my ATMOS system in the living room.

Though I thank you, more low mid range in the kick is something I need to work at and not ignore.

I run parallel bass sends to harmonic plugin or hardware, so I will dial up the low end mid range for more bit there.

Also the vox is high passed at like 200 hz, so pick a position at the mic and stay there instead of bobbing and weaving in and out.
It sounds scooped and misses out on a lot of power from that 100-400hz range.