Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Todays Headphone Mix
Honest feedback would be nice : )

.mp3    Mixdown(2).mp3 --  (Download: 4.6 MB)

Headphone listening: sounds great to me.

I don't remember any more the challenges of this song, but it sounds to me that you have nicely picked up all the relevant changes in the song. Balance feels good, and focus is nicely in the singer.

One small thing with background vocals bothers me just a little bit. For example at 0:46 when background voiices joins the singer, they take a focus away from singer, or singer becomes a member of background choir and main singer disappears. What should be done? I don't know. Maybe different blend of the background so that they don't sound internally so separate? Or some saturation to background vocals? More compression to background than to main vocals? Or just leave it the way it is now.

But anyhow, Great mix! I like it.
Thanks Ollie, guess you're right with the backings. There is more Verb on it so they went too far in the Background.

Thanks
Something weird is happening to the drum low end. Both the kick and snare(s) feel quite hollow. This hollowness contributes to a tad powerless mix. If you have any kind hipass filters in the drums (either individual kick and snare tracks or somewhere in the parallel/groups) take them out and see if the hipass filters are causing low end cancellation.

I'd say the vocal doubles in chorus are too loud here; I'm losing the focus on the LV. The way the vocals are currently set in the chorus brings out the out-of-tuneness of the vocals.

Just took a listen to your mix, I don't know if it's the reverb or whatever effect your using. But it's making you mix sound hollow and very boxy, the chorus backing vocals are a bit loud on the chorus parts. But good job over all, it's a tough track to mix there's just so many things going on. Good Job!