Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ripe: 'Little Lighter'_mix Tommy M.
AngelAngelAngel

Oh yes! Great tune and fun to mix!!!

Tom

---------------------UPDATE-----------

Please see comments. I submitted another mix, Version 7M, which I think is really good, and the inspiration to improve upon it came from helpful suggestions.....much appreciated. That's what we are here for. Thanks Mixinthecloud.

I also copied and pitch shifted some of the vocal to create a harmony here and there.....you'll hear it.

Enjoy!

Tom

.mp3    Little Lighter_5M.mp3 --  (Download: 9.87 MB)

.mp3    Little Lighter_7M.mp3 --  (Download: 9.89 MB)

.mp3    Little Lighter_8M.mp3 --  (Download: 9.89 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Sounds like you really had fun with this, Tommy. What did you do to the horns? How many guitars parts did you add? I think the bass is a bit too honky and gets in the way of the mid content. Also maybe some low-end trimming of the vocal reverb or delay would help. Some great ideas and a fun listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-07-2019, 11:15 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Sounds like you really had fun with this, Tommy. What did you do to the horns? How many guitars parts did you add? I think the bass is a bit too honky and gets in the way of the mid content. Also maybe some low-end trimming of the vocal reverb or delay would help. Some great ideas and a fun listen.

---------------
Thanks for your welcomed comments and suggestions. I am going to go back into this mix and try to make it better, taking into account your recommendations. As a side note to your question about the guitars: I did not "add" any guitars I just used a doubling effect plugin for fullness. Unfortunately, sometimes those cause too much mid range and if then do some cutting then it sounds too thin. I have to experiment more with these effects because they are very useful. Will post another mix soon.

Tom....and thanks again. :-)

(08-07-2019, 02:13 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 11:15 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Sounds like you really had fun with this, Tommy. What did you do to the horns? How many guitars parts did you add? I think the bass is a bit too honky and gets in the way of the mid content. Also maybe some low-end trimming of the vocal reverb or delay would help. Some great ideas and a fun listen.

---------------
Thanks for your welcomed comments and suggestions. I am going to go back into this mix and try to make it better, taking into account your recommendations. As a side note to your question about the guitars: I did not "add" any guitars I just used a doubling effect plugin for fullness. Unfortunately, sometimes those cause too much mid range and if then do some cutting then it sounds too thin. I have to experiment more with these effects because they are very useful. Will post another mix soon.

I thought you may have added the guitar part in the intro.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(08-07-2019, 02:57 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

---------------

------------------
Oh yes, just copied some of the existing guitar part to enhance the intro, which I thought just the lone bass was not interesting enough as an intro.

Tom

(08-07-2019, 03:55 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 02:57 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

---------------

------------------
Oh yes, just copied some of the existing guitar part to enhance the intro, which I thought just the lone bass was not interesting enough as an intro.

Tom

--------------------
Hi again....I think you'll like version 7M, added above (left the other version there for comparison). Thanks for the suggestions. I hope you like it.

Tom

(09-07-2019, 12:29 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: --------------------
Hi again....I think you'll like version 7M, added above (left the other version there for comparison). Thanks for the suggestions. I hope you like it.

Tom

Oh yes. Better. Much more funner...
OK. If I were to be critical my observation would move to the very limited dynamics you've engineered. I miss those and the song begins to border on becoming monotonous. I believe you were going for the tight control which you've done very well and it sounds great. The additions and the effects and excellent.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi Tom,

I like what you are doing here. Great drive and styling. I think I'm preferring the 5M mix over 7M although the sonics are cleaner in the later pass. I like the free form feeling that I'm getting from 5M. It seems to carry the mood of the song along in a good way. I would love to hear a little more percussive impact from the kick and snare though, without over doing it of course, just to lock in and work with the bass guitars movement.
Anyways, great vibe Tom. Well Done!
(09-07-2019, 12:58 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi Tom,

I like what you are doing here. Great drive and styling. I think I'm preferring the 5M mix over 7M although the sonics are cleaner in the later pass. I like the free form feeling that I'm getting from 5M. It seems to carry the mood of the song along in a good way. I would love to hear a little more percussive impact from the kick and snare though, without over doing it of course, just to lock in and work with the bass guitars movement.
Anyways, great vibe Tom. Well Done!

-------------
Thanks Dave! Much appreciated commentary. I'm uploading a 3rd version that I like the best (version 8M), which follows your advice before I even read your reply.....lol. I brought in the energy of the drums more and tried to minimize the "squishing" of the song that seems to exist in the other versions. There is much more movement now, the song pulses and breathes more, and the drums are right up there with the rest of the mix. It may be a little too crispy on the high end now, however, but I'd like to hear what you and others think. The newest and hopefully the final version is going to be Version 8M.

Peace,

Tom

very cool mix