Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Lighter - Rook Mix -V3
Quick V1 mix. Enjoyed working on this one.

V2 added with more Vocal processing.

V3 added with several hopeful improvements.

.mp3    Ripe - Little Lighter - Rook Mix V1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.05 MB)

.mp3    Ripe - Little Lighter - Rook Mix V2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.9 MB)

.mp3    Ripe - Little Lighter - Rook Mix V3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.9 MB)

Nice mix.Vox too dry for me tho.Chorus hits nice
Thanks Takka360. Will re-visit the vocal in V2.
Personally I think the vocal processing on V2 is too much. Wile I think this vocal could use some effects and 'ear candy' I think they should be more subtle. There's a lot of words going by and too much processing gets in the way of the lyrics. The vocal is sibilant and could use some de-essing.
Conversely, the rest of the mix to me feels too dry and could use some ambience to tie the band together.

I really like the bass. It feels tight and exciting with out feeling 'cheap'. I'm curious as to what you did to it.

Other than that it all feels pretty good.

Thanks for listening RoyMatthews. I will include your feedback in V3.

For the bass, I bussed the di and amp and used a Scheps Omni Channel on all 3 tracks. This is becoming one of my favorite plugins. Screenshots attached.

The compressor is hitting as follows:

Di = -9db - mix at 70%
Amp = -6db - mix at 70%
Bus = -3db - mix at 95%

From the Bus, I am sending to:

1. Sans Amp
2. Pro-C2 into an EchoBoy. Squashing to -9db on the Pro-C2 to reduce dynamics. EchoBoy set to Dual Echo 8.9 L and 10.7 R and cutting most of the lows (70%). Borrowed from Jaquire King video
3. bx_subsynth using 07 preset
4. Tal-Chorus which is engaged for the bassdrum groove in the breakdown. Free plugin. Super good!

I’ll give your mix a listen soon.

(06-07-2019, 05:25 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Personally I think the vocal processing on V2 is too much. Wile I think this vocal could use some effects and 'ear candy' I think they should be more subtle. There's a lot of words going by and too much processing gets in the way of the lyrics. The vocal is sibilant and could use some de-essing.
Conversely, the rest of the mix to me feels too dry and could use some ambience to tie the band together.

I really like the bass. It feels tight and exciting with out feeling 'cheap'. I'm curious as to what you did to it.

Other than that it all feels pretty good.

Thumbnail(s)