Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel a "Little Bit Lighter"
This was kickin'
Big Grin

2nd Track: Messin' around with Harris Mix Bus...

Back to Reaper with that last 02 version - 7/18/2019 6:00pm

7/21/2019 2a Mix

05/22/2021 2b mix
Way too fun of a tune not to come back and visit. 
[major tweakage but still no rubber band bending]
******************************************************* Cool

Just to make things simpler, gonna pull the earlier mixes and go with this latest one:  the "c" mix.
10/8/2021 @ 10:40pm

10/11/2021 3:00pm  -- "cx"  mix - tweaking that c mix a bit.

1/28/2022 @ 4:15 pm FX Testing  track 02d_EVTfx

6/16/2022 @ 7:40pm yet another pass.

12/31/2022 2:56pm ...a little New Year's Eve Tweakage.

.mp3    Ripe_LittleLighter_02c.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

.mp3    Ripe_LittleLighter_02cx.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

.mp3    Ripe_LittleLighter_02dEVTfx.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

.mp3    Ripe_LittleLighter_02ReaV.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

.mp3    Ripe_LittleLighter_02ReaVa.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

Overall it feels pretty good.
There might be too much bottom snare. It feels 'papery'. The drums are a little week overall. The need to drive the song more. Especially in the chorus.
The vocal could be de-essed and maybe come back into the mix a little. The vocal effects work but could come back and be more subtle.
The bass sounds good. The guitars work. The Guitar 1 might be too loud going into the solo. It 'telegraphs' the solo too much. The horns are ok. Maybe more 'bone and they might be too dry. The chorus synth feels ok, I think, I 'm not sure on earbuds.
That's all. The only real "negative" is the sibilance of the vocal. The rest might be personal preferences or minor tweaks.
(06-07-2019, 05:00 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Overall it feels pretty good.
There might be too much bottom snare. It feels 'papery'. The drums are a little week overall. The need to drive the song more. Especially in the chorus.
The vocal could be de-essed and maybe come back into the mix a little. The vocal effects work but could come back and be more subtle.
The bass sounds good. The guitars work. The Guitar 1 might be too loud going into the solo. It 'telegraphs' the solo too much. The horns are ok. Maybe more 'bone and they might be too dry. The chorus synth feels ok, I think, I 'm not sure on earbuds.
That's all. The only real "negative" is the sibilance of the vocal. The rest might be personal preferences or minor tweaks.
Thanks Roy... I appreciate the listen and the thoughtful comments.
NT

I like the level of the vocal to the bass when it comes in, feels right.

The snare is too "big" and the kick def needs more bottom end.

Otherwise nice mix.
My issues with your mix is mostly the level of the vocals against the ensemble. There's plenty of low end in your kick but your snare feels a bit too mechanical. De-essing the lead vocal will also help (or just dropping the very top end some). Other than that this is inventive and enjoyable.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-07-2019, 11:10 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: My issues with your mix is mostly the level of the vocals against the ensemble. There's plenty of low end in your kick but your snare feels a bit too mechanical. De-essing the lead vocal will also help (or just dropping the very top end some). Other than that this is inventive and enjoyable.

- Thanks for giving this a listen...

Wow...very observant on the "mechanical" snare...
I did another mix following this one with my new toy, Harris mix bus,..where I just dealt with (severely eq'd) the original snare sound and didn't "mechanize" it.. ;-P

On this round that you heard, the vocal was somewhat de-essed I believe... (but it's not on the newer Harris mix buss version)

NT
(08-07-2019, 04:32 AM)NewtonThomas Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 11:10 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: My issues with your mix is mostly the level of the vocals against the ensemble. There's plenty of low end in your kick but your snare feels a bit too mechanical. De-essing the lead vocal will also help (or just dropping the very top end some). Other than that this is inventive and enjoyable.

- Thanks for giving this a listen...

Wow...very observant on the "mechanical" snare...
I did another mix following this one with my new toy, Harris mix bus,..where I just dealt with (severely eq'd) the original snare sound and didn't "mechanize" it.. ;-P

On this round that you heard, the vocal was somewhat de-essed I believe... (but it's not on the newer Harris mix buss version)

NT

How do you like the Harrison DAW? I've tried it but I'm still a big fan of StudioOne.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(08-07-2019, 03:06 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: How do you like the Harrison DAW? I've tried it but I'm still a big fan of StudioOne.

There's some things that are kind of friendly to former physical console users but some of those things don't translate to the screen well - particularly a smaller one. The eq section in each channel is kind of tiny to deal with unless you have a mega-screen... There may be a way to pop up each channel to a larger size to deal with that but I haven't figured that one out yet. They seem to be kind of giving away the base software cheap and want to nickel and dime you with plug ins. They blacklisted some of the base Reaper plugins...I think that's just to sort of force you to buy theirs...can't really believe that Reaper's gate should be blacklisted. There's a compressor on every channel -which I'm wondering how it figures out the right params ... but so far I have used it on some very different things and it's been ok...
I had been using ProTools for the longest and tried Reaper which is pretty nice.

(09-07-2019, 12:23 AM)NewtonThomas Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 03:06 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: How do you like the Harrison DAW? I've tried it but I'm still a big fan of StudioOne.

There's some things that are kind of friendly to former physical console users but some of those things don't translate to the screen well - particularly a smaller one. The eq section in each channel is kind of tiny to deal with unless you have a mega-screen... There may be a way to pop up each channel to a larger size to deal with that but I haven't figured that one out yet. They seem to be kind of giving away the base software cheap and want to nickel and dime you with plug ins. They blacklisted some of the base Reaper plugins...I think that's just to sort of force you to buy theirs...can't really believe that Reaper's gate should be blacklisted. There's a compressor on every channel -which I'm wondering how it figures out the right params ... but so far I have used it on some very different things and it's been ok...
I had been using ProTools for the longest and tried Reaper which is pretty nice.

So my first question would be, are you moving away from ProTools or just taking a break?

My next question would be, have you tried StudioOne (being that I am user!)? I know a lot of people who would recoil from the mention of S1 but if you are an analogue guy in a digital world, it really presents a great interface. I have found it very intuitive and the native plugins are fine, although the one with the most toys, wins which S1 accommodates well (not sure about reaper plugins).

I tried Harrison a few years back and would agree with your assessment of it. The plugin limitations were the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I have only glimpsed at Reapor and FL Studio and have a version of ProTools I can run, but ProTools is just counter-intuitive for me, or I have a block on it and can't see the AVID forest through my trees.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
So my first question would be, are you moving away from ProTools or just taking a break?

I have an older version of PT. It was nearly the only serious game (DAW) in town when I needed something to record some stuff on the wife. So, it's an old familiar friend.

My next question would be, have you tried StudioOne (being that I am user!)? I know a lot of people who would recoil from the mention of S1 but if you are an analogue guy in a digital world, it really presents a great interface. I have found it very intuitive and the native plugins are fine, although the one with the most toys, wins which S1 accommodates well (not sure about reaper plugins).

No, actually had to look who made S1 (Presonus). Have heard good stuff about their A/D interfaces and mic pre's.
I tried Harrison a few years back and would agree with your assessment of it. The plugin limitations were the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I have only glimpsed at Reapor and FL Studio and have a version of ProTools I can run, but ProTools is just counter-intuitive for me, or I have a block on it and can't see the AVID forest through my trees.

Reaper has been what I've been using lately. It comes with a decent assortment of plugins.
I occasionally do voice work and have been using it for that as well as these Cambridge mixes. Occasionally, after an export, it gets into this fuzz tone mode on input..which I haven't sorted out. Sometimes I have to reboot everything.