Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hop Along: 'Sister Cities'
22-10-2013, 06:15 PM
RE: Hop Along: 'Sister Cities'
Olli

Here's the mix with slight changes following your advice.

Now I think that the bass and the kick don't interfere as much as before to each other.

I've also automated the lead guitar's pan and I believe that everything will be more balanced in the mix.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

.mp3   Hop Along - Sister Cities.mp3 --  (Download: 9.03 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Good job! I think you're almost there.

Now the left-right-panning seems to working nicely even in headphones.

Some small things to consider, and I really mean just small adjustments:
Is the kick too strong and too low? Now it sounds to me a little bit as separate instrument from the other kit. Maybe you could try to balance it by soloing drums and thinking it as one instrument. Listen especially the balance between snare and kick. THey should create nicely rolling groove in all the listening volumes. Or listen Rolling Stones Brown Sugar as a balance reference.

Vocal sound is maybe just right when soloed but something is masking it a little bit.
- How about taking some ringing harshness away from snare around 2-5 K. That could give room to singers voice.
- Or use sidechained compression on some guitars. Feed the compressor with highly compressed vocal signal but use only 1-4 db compression. For example around 1:15 solo guitar and vocals are clearly competing in the same harsh frequency area. Maybe you could find a new, little lower frequency area for that guitar to dominate.

These were my thoughts late at night. If I listen it again tomorrow morning I might have totally different opinions then.

I begin to like this song. I think I also try to mix this. I'm probably using Rolling Stones as inspiration or guidance, but still trying to find this bands own sound.
23-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Kick is a bit loud but mix sounds great ! Are these 16 bit files ?
Agree on the smal suggestions Olli mention, but it doesnt stop this mix from soundin good on its own !

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
23-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I've been working in your suggestions and I'm happy that you pointed it out because those are things that went by me and I must learn to pay more attention to in the future!

So this is what I did:

- the kick's volume fits better the rest of the drums.

- I checked the snare and lead voice's frequencies, and yes! they were fighting around 4.5K so I notched it out on the snare and guess what: I heard a huge difference!!

- I sidechained the lead guitar to the lead voice. Only a couple of db to make it subtle.

And here's the result!

@Niels: yes, they're 16bit files.

@Olli: you amaze me with your accuracy! I do want Christmas to come to get my present (and you know what I mean!!) Big Grin

.mp3   Hop Along - Sister Cities.mp3 --  (Download: 9.03 MB)

mixing since April 2013
23-10-2013, 08:48 PM
(23-10-2013 06:01 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote:  I do want Christmas to come to get my present (and you know what I mean!!) Big Grin

Some german accuracy? Smile
Let's move to new song...
24-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Man I really like this song. Your mix sounds really good...nicely balanced, love how you did the vocals in the left and right channels. I found the acoustics a little hard to hear, but I'm not sure that that really matters much, the mix sounds good regardless. Nice job!
24-10-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm glad you liked it!! Thanks!!

mixing since April 2013

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: