Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Gets In The Way... Of My Mixing!
Hey Dave, I just had a listen on my studio speakers - this is great, mate!

I get the feeling from your mix that you really get this song. There is a rawness, punchiness & (yes even) funkiness that really speaks to what I aspire to musically.

You flat-out nailed the bass tone here, which is effectively the main musical hook of the verse. The snare tone is killer, and you have internally balanced the drums nicely. You did a great job of the vocal - it is right where it needs to be to tell the story.

I also really enjoyed the chimey-ness you managed to extract from the guitar layers in the chorus. It's that big, nasty but sweet sound that only works if you get the guitar tones layered as they were intended.

The guitar solo section is totally mad and psychedelic, but that is catches the vibe of the performance to a tee.

That said, here are some things I'd ask for if you were doing the mix for me:
- I think the drums need to be "tucked in" just a little more. They tend to dominate the mix at the moment, musically.
- The toms sound pretty much all in the centre to me - maybe just a bit of panning would be nice?
- The chorus guitars are just a bit low overall in the mix for me. Check the chorus in mono and you'll hear what I mean. The vocals and drums are dominating the chorus a bit too much for my liking.

Mate, you're off to the races with this mix - top job! Big Grin
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases

Messages In This Thread
RE: Life Gets In The Way... Of My Mixing! - by FytaKyte - 01-07-2019, 01:09 PM