Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Gets In The Way... Of My Mixing!
It's great when the bass guitar part just works!

This is right up my ally, with a smorgasbord of guitar tones. I've died and gone to heaven.Tongue
Listening to the preview my first thought was of The Angels album "skin and Bone" so I've used the song "Movin' On" as a reference. The vocal does remind me of Mark Callaghan from Gang Gajang at times also.

This is a killer song Andrew. Thanks for letting us play.Big Grin

This is my first slap together. I might have to tone down those cymbols in my next pass. Some extra sweetening maybe in order also. Thanks for listening. Comments welcome always.Big Grin

Dave.

Update 07/07/2019 Mix #2 Added

Hopefully a little tighter and more refined this time round.
As per Roy & FytaKyte's critique, I have tighten the vocals especially the backings and have dropped them back a tad. Also with the drums, I have tighten these up and sat them back a little, throwing more emphasis towards the guitars and their drive. I have awoken the guitars through the choruses quite a bit infact, perhaps too much so, but I love the growl! I have also automated their parts extensively throughout the song for that added excitement. Overall I'm liking the direction the mix is heading with these edits in place.
Thank you good people.Smile

.mp3    FytaKyte_LifeGetsInTheWay_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.69 MB)

.mp3    FytaKyte_LifeGetsInTheWay_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.69 MB)

Sounds great, I like the bass and like how it's out front. Also, cool toms sounds. Extra 'sweetening' might be cool but everything sounds solid and interesting as is.

The chorus vocals might be a little too loud and pop out but that only might be the case in the first chorus.

Great work.
Hey Dave, just listening on cheap speakers at work - Sounds great! I'll have to have a listen on my studio monitors at home to be able to give any decent feedback, though...

I love some of the little creative touches you did in the breakdown/solo part - cool!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hey Dave, I just had a listen on my studio speakers - this is great, mate!

I get the feeling from your mix that you really get this song. There is a rawness, punchiness & (yes even) funkiness that really speaks to what I aspire to musically.

You flat-out nailed the bass tone here, which is effectively the main musical hook of the verse. The snare tone is killer, and you have internally balanced the drums nicely. You did a great job of the vocal - it is right where it needs to be to tell the story.

I also really enjoyed the chimey-ness you managed to extract from the guitar layers in the chorus. It's that big, nasty but sweet sound that only works if you get the guitar tones layered as they were intended.

The guitar solo section is totally mad and psychedelic, but that is catches the vibe of the performance to a tee.

That said, here are some things I'd ask for if you were doing the mix for me:
- I think the drums need to be "tucked in" just a little more. They tend to dominate the mix at the moment, musically.
- The toms sound pretty much all in the centre to me - maybe just a bit of panning would be nice?
- The chorus guitars are just a bit low overall in the mix for me. Check the chorus in mono and you'll hear what I mean. The vocals and drums are dominating the chorus a bit too much for my liking.

Mate, you're off to the races with this mix - top job! Big Grin
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(30-06-2019, 01:00 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds great, I like the bass and like how it's out front. Also, cool toms sounds. Extra 'sweetening' might be cool but everything sounds solid and interesting as is.

The chorus vocals might be a little too loud and pop out but that only might be the case in the first chorus.

Great work.

Thank you Roy.

Listening with fresh ears the vocals are a little unruly at times. Some automation will be in order with my next pass. Thanks again for your thoughts.
(01-07-2019, 01:09 PM)FytaKyte Wrote: Hey Dave, I just had a listen on my studio speakers - this is great, mate!

I get the feeling from your mix that you really get this song. There is a rawness, punchiness & (yes even) funkiness that really speaks to what I aspire to musically.

You flat-out nailed the bass tone here, which is effectively the main musical hook of the chorus. The snare tone is killer, and you have internally balanced the drums nicely. You did a great job of the vocal - it is right where it needs to be to tell the story.

I also really enjoyed the chimey-ness you managed to extract from the guitar layers in the chorus. It's that big, nasty but sweet sound that only works if you get the guitar tones layered as they were intended.

The guitar solo section is totally mad and psychedelic, but that is catches the vibe of the performance to a tee.

That said, here are some things I'd ask for if you were doing the mix for me:
- I think the drums need to be "tucked in" just a little more. They tend to dominate the mix at the moment, musically.
- The toms sound pretty much all in the centre to me - maybe just a bit of panning would be nice?
- The chorus guitars are just a bit low overall in the mix for me. Check the chorus in mono and you'll hear what I mean. The vocals and drums are dominating the chorus a bit too much for my liking.

Mate, you're off to the races with this mix - top job! Big Grin

Thanks for the detailed critique! I super pleased you approve. Lucky for me, I found getting the mix to this stage quite effortless, so I guess being tuned in really helps.
Listening to the mix again cold, I agree with your thoughts and will endeavour to make some improvements with my update.
Thanks again Sir!
YES! Dave i can tell this is you thing for sure,i can almost imagine your tapping your feet and nodding your head whilst mixing this fantastic track,well done to the musicians as well,love this mix i think this will be my next track to mix.
Reaper user
Killer mix mate, very enjoyable!
~
Other Mixes
(05-07-2019, 07:24 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: YES! Dave i can tell this is you thing for sure,i can almost imagine your tapping your feet and nodding your head whilst mixing this fantastic track,well done to the musicians as well,love this mix i think this will be my next track to mix.

That's me! absolutely. I like to get up quite frequently and listen to how the mix translates through a door way into another room. This is when I usually pull my moves and strut my stuff.
I'm super pleased you approve Cudjoe. Thank you.

Have a go at this one for sure. not only is it a great song, these are a great set of multi's. You'll be surprised at just how little processing these tracks require to gel. Subject to styling of course.
(07-07-2019, 05:55 AM)Quathamer Wrote: Killer mix mate, very enjoyable!

Thank you.Big Grin