Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
FORKUPINES - "Sugar | Faith" (mixed by arimaggod)
Hey guys. Just my mix with really bad non professional monitoring.

.mp3    Forkupines - Sugar Faith (mixed by arimaggod).mp3 --  (Download: 16.64 MB)

.mp3    Forkupines - Sugar Faith (mixed by arimaggod) 2nd version.mp3 --  (Download: 15.29 MB)

Hello Arimaggog,

Well, as for the monitor issue your other mixes sound fine not sure what the problem is.Dodgy

As for the mix. I would start with the faders leveled out no FX and get a good static mix first (panning or no panning up to you) then start to add your toys figure out about what each instrument sound you like and don’t like. Hope this helps
Jerze
Hey arimaggod. Yeah, I think you're non professional monitoring might be affecting your mix. Though to be fair, I have non professional monitoring as well. Ultimately, if I'm honest, there's elements of this mix that sound off and weird. It's cool though. We'll figure it out.

I'll agree with Jerze. "As for the mix. I would start with the faders leveled out no FX and get a good static mix first (panning or no panning up to you) then start to add your toys figure out about what each instrument sound you like and don’t like" What I'm no liking out this mix feels forced to be that way. Mixing is symbiotic. You can't force a song to sound in a way that it doesn't want to or isn't able to. Which is great. This feels like there are elements of the song that you really tried and worked to be something that it isn't. I think that's natural when we see a lot of tracks. It feels like "work". We may get into the mental headspace of having to really work the tracks. Whether it's one, two, twelve, twenty-four or a hundred we have to let the tracks be what they are.

I know I rambled a lot to say simple this seems like a mix that got away from you. That's not to say you can't mix it. You just need to take your foot off the gas a bit and try again. It's not far off. It just got away from you bit. Listen on some other systems if you can. Reference other mixes. The tonal balances don't feel that off. I don't know. I might be typing too much. Which is fitting.

Try again. Keep it simple. See what you get.

(25-06-2019, 07:31 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Try again. Keep it simple. See what you get.

Updated mix in first post
I listened to the 2nd version. Sounds good! A couple things:
  • Guitars during loud/chorus parts sound a bit quiet and muddy
  • I hear some pumping in the drums that is a bit fatiguing
  • Mix overall could use a bit less 200-400hz and some more air instead
  • At the section where the singer says “i used to dance in my dreams…”, the guitars are really masking the vocal
  • Snare sounds a bit boxy/papery
Good luck!