Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phre The Eon: 'Everybody's Falling Apart
Phre The Eon: 'Everybody's Falling Apart - Mix

.mp3    PhreTheEon-Mix 1.01_01.mp3 --  (Download: 8.57 MB)

It feels pretty good. The kick is a little "thuddy" and dead sounding. It's not bad but that midrange feels pretty forward in the mix. I think the song is a little flat dynamically and could 'bloom' a more in the chorus. The bass feels pretty good. I think it could come forward in the outro section. Oh, and the toms panning is contrary to the overhead/cymbal panning.
Hey August, I really like the balances you got here - definitely suits the vibe of the track...

A few things I noticed:

- The mix overall feels muddy. The main problem is the low mids in the 150-200hz area. This is where the bass guitar has a lot of energy. If you cut too much from this area, it can take all the warmth from a mix and make it sound empty, so my suggestion would be to try some things while referencing other mixes of a similar genre.

- Along similar lines, the bass and kick drum are not gelling together. I think the kick maybe masking the low end of the bass somewhat. Try finding the conflicting frequencies down there and perhaps use a "complimentary eq" tactic to get them playing better together. It's been a while since I mixed this track, but from memory I think the kick may have had somewhat of a pitched resonance around the 100hz mark that tends to steal the "guts" from the bass guitar's low end.

- When I corrected the low mids/low end somewhat to improve the muddiness, what I noticed was what Roy pointed out above about the high mids - they were too far forward in the mix. Since Roy is listening on ear buds, that would make sense, as that is one area that ear buds really show up. Hence the wide cut centred around 2.8k in the eq plot below. At a mix level, this might translate to paying attention to the vocal and guitar levels once the low end issues are dealt with

- The distorted electric guitar has some low mid stuff in them around the 400-500hz mark that is making it sound boxy. Try pulling some of that area out the e guitar and you may find it will help with clarity in your midrange.

- I don't often mention pitch correction, because I'm not a big fan of the hard "autotuned" sound. However, this track benefits MASSIVELY from some judicious manual pitch correction. Quirky indie vocals are fine and all, but even modern indie rock/dance tracks (Wombats et al) benefit from vocal that are tuned. You'll feel more comfortable turning the lead vocal up in the mix, and the harmonies work so much better.

I investigated your mix in my DAW to find the troublesome frequencies, because I find it instructive to myself, and I like to be more sure about what I am hearing before giving recommendations to others...

To give you an idea of what I am talking about, I ended up with an eq plot as attached below. It didn't solve the kick masking problem, or the boxiness in the electric, but it did result in a slightly a more balanced and clearer sounding mix.

Thumbnail(s)

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
That's a more in depth response to mine. I still stand by my tom panning point though...Smile