Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
FytaKyte - Bitter
Hi,

My attempt at this track. Comments welcomed.

Thanks!

.mp3    FytaKyte - Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 8.41 MB)

.mp3    FytaKyte - Bitter - Revision 1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.41 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi Mike - pretty cool mix!... I like the overall balances, and the way you kept the mix in the overall shape it was intended to be...

A few points I noticed:

- There is a bit of a disparity between the sound of some of the internal mix elements. For example, the drum sound is quite "hi-fi" and very full from low to high in the frequency range, whereas the vocals and the main riff guitar sound a little less polished and pristine.

- Along the lines of the above, I would suggest looking to clear out the boxiness in the 350-500hz area on the riff guitar

- The vocal sounds like it needs a little more "air" to bring it in line with the drums

- There is a bit of a low end/low mid buildup in the background vocals that tends to make them sound a bit dull and muffled - maybe some more stringent high-passing would do the trick.

- I think you could afford to lose just a little bit of sub bass out of the kick drum. It tends to dominate the mix in that really low area probably just a little too much for this style of music. A slimmer kick drum down there may help the groove just feel a little lighter and move it along better in line with the tempo of the track.

That said, I like the way the chorus hits - you really nailed the vibe of that part of the track.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks for taking the time to listen to my mix and also posting a critique - much appreciated. I'll be doing my best to address the points raised and hope to post a revision in a few days.

Yeah listening to the reference tracks you mentioned with your detailed comments in mind I get exactly what you mean - thanks.

Great tip for the riff guitar too, I was struggling with getting that.

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi - I've added mix revision 1. Thanks!