Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jokers, Jacks & Kings - Sea of Leaves - GERRIT
So this mix was one of the more challenging ones I've faced so far.

Three major things I struggled with:
1. Getting enough thump out of the kick drum (like Mike Senior's Mix) but without over powering the rest of the kit. Don't think I nailed it completely. Huh
2. Making the "somebody scream" section (and I quote Mike Senior) "RAUCOUS" enough. Big Grin
3. Backing Vocals!!!
Like Mike Senior said: "backing vocals would benefit from some editing and tuning work if you're planning on using them at any significant level in the mix" - AND it took A LOT of EDITING and TUNING!!!
But in the end I got them to "add" to the mix. (I think) Tongue

On the other hand, it's a GREAT track and recorded pretty well in my opinion.
Really enjoyed mixing it.

Please let me know what you guys think!

.mp3    Jokers, Jacks & Kings - Sea of Leaves (2nd Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 7.26 MB)

A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
Okay, so this track was still getting the better of me.
I had to give it another try, and this is probably as good as it's gonna get!

I've completely reworked the whole track, especially the drums.
On the guitars, bass and vocals I played around with EQ, compression and levels so they sit better in the mix.

Also gave mastering a go. I think I might have over done it a bit with the limiting.
Let me know what you guys think.

.mp3    Jokers, Jacks & Kings - Sea of Leaves (FINAL).mp3 --  (Download: 7.3 MB)

A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
Hi,
that's right, the drums sound really good. The only sound I don't like is the sound of the toms in the "somebody scream"-part. But dont get me wrong, I like how they open up but for my taste they are too "clacky" (if thats a word^^) and don't have enough bottom. That was the only flaw for me in this mix. The rest sounds just perfect (for my amateur ears). Especially the backing vocals sit really well in the mix.
Cheers,
Paul
(30-10-2013, 03:43 PM)PaulHofstatter Wrote: Hi,
that's right, the drums sound really good. The only sound I don't like is the sound of the toms in the "somebody scream"-part. But dont get me wrong, I like how they open up but for my taste they are too "clacky" (if thats a word^^) and don't have enough bottom. That was the only flaw for me in this mix. The rest sounds just perfect (for my amateur ears). Especially the backing vocals sit really well in the mix.
Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul

I get what you're saying. I think the "clacky" sound, was the result of my attempt at getting the toms to be more prominent in the "somebody scream" part.
When I get a chance I'll have another look at the toms. Maybe adding to the bottom end will have them standing out more and reduce the "clackyness" Big Grin

Thanks for the compliment on the backing vocals!
I appreciate your opinion!