Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roughly my 6th mix on this one
I'm almost happy with it. Still needs the guitars weeded out a little.

Always interested in comments to make the mix better.

.mp3    Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 8.39 MB)

Hi Kjedrusiak - wow - 6th take!.. It's a very individual sounding mix that you have here - you've definitely taken a different route...

I like some of the directions you've taken in the mix - for eg. I like the "pillowy" sound you got out of the kick drum, and I like how the bass and kick work together in the mix. I think the kick may have just a little too much "weight" in it at present though. I also like the way you have placed the backing vocals, and the overall sound of the choruses suits the song nicely.

One thing that I'm not keen on is the tone of the lead vocal. It just sounds way too high passed & "small" sounding. That sound works ok in the choruses, but in the verses, to my ear it sounds too unnatural and disconnected from the other mix elements.

The drums overall are a little over-compressed for my taste. I can hear quite a bit of compression "pumping" in the cymbals. While that sound can work well in the right circumstances, I find it a little distracting here.

Cool to hear yet another very different sounding mix!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Still learning a lot about Studio One and mixing in general.

I'm not sure I have trained my ears to hear the pumping. : (

A gook kick drum sound is my nemesis! More research and practice to do!

Will probably give the song a few more go-overs before I post another mix.

I'll split the lead vocal to dif tracks for verse and chorus for different treatments.

One think I have tried to do is use as much of the stereo space as I can and a bit of reverb to get some depth.

Thanks!
Ok, better control of the kick...bit less pillow. Better mix between kick/snare/hats. Adjusted LPF to reduce harshness on cymbals in general. Tweaked EQ on acoustic guitars. Split L Vox into separate tracks for verse/break and chorus. Chorus/break stays clean, chorus gets a bit of dirt. I also tweaked the panning on the guitars.

The kick and bass play well because...there is a second compressor on the bass bus that is being triggered (side-chaining) by the kick drum. When the kick hits, it ducks the bass just a tiny bit.

I have FX channels where i have parallel compression for the bass and the L Vox, they are mixed in just so that the bass and L Vox don't ever get completely lost.

I'm sure it could be tweaked further...but enjoyed working on it. Is a great song!

.mp3    Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 8.3 MB)

That's some nice progress, you're for sure going the right direction! Love the kick, don't get to say that enough. I'm really wanting the vocals to be louder, they are sitting behind some of the other elements and it's odd. The loudest things right now are the kick and guitar. Bring up the other drums that aren't the kick would really help start making the track sound fat. Keep at it.
Nice improvement! I personally would prefer the snare drum to be a little fatter in the low mids - the 100-200hz mark - so that it matches the kick drum a little better.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
I think it's a tad better. My last shot, need to move onto the next project.

After this many tries I am still digging the song!

.mp3    Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 8.3 MB)