Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique
This is my master from stems supplied.

Feel free to critique. Your feedback is most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

.mp3    Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

I could only give it a quick listen. It feels ok. I think the main guitar melody line could come back, at least, during the verses. It gets in the way of the vocal. The drums are a little dry and could use some ambiance. The kick is click and could come back a bit. I like the vocal effects. They're subtle but add to the mix. The whole mix feels a little constrained and could do with more dynamics but I don't hate it, as is.

Overall it sounds pretty good but could use some tweaks.
(08-06-2019, 04:24 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I could only give it a quick listen. It feels ok. I think the main guitar melody line could come back, at least, during the verses. It gets in the way of the vocal. The drums are a little dry and could use some ambiance. The kick is click and could come back a bit. I like the vocal effects. They're subtle but add to the mix. The whole mix feels a little constrained and could do with more dynamics but I don't hate it, as is.

Overall it sounds pretty good but could use some tweaks.
Thanks for the critique. I appreciate it.
I agree with the you on the kick now that I listen back. The vocal is slightly buried with the guitar. Are they competing too much for sonic space? Is it a level thing? What do you think? The problem is, I'm not entirely happy with the recorded vocal. Its sounds like a dynamic mic going through 1176, 10 o'clock - 2 o'clock. That is a classic rock setup to get it to cut through. Can make it sybilent & it is in this instance. I don't know it suits the track, As far as the mix being a bit constrained, you are quite right, purposefully done. It could be that having it a little bouncy might suit it better. I'm not entirely convinced. I kind of like it a bit lazy carefree feeling. To me it's a bit more Americana than Pop Rock & that is the problem with this track. Its fighting for an identity. I think you have to treat each section of the song structure with a little different vibe.