Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sugar - Faith
Some pretty nasty Peaks on the kick/snare tracks Angry
Tried to not limit them too hard...

.mp3    Sugar - Faith.mp3 --  (Download: 10.47 MB)

Whatever you are using to mix is not giving you a chance at it. I'd suggest you listen to some songs with them.
Hi Thomas, what you use for monitoring, headphones, speakers? A good way to start is to use a reference song, so your ears can adapt to that monitoring system. I hear some phase cancellation on guitars. Reamping or distorting the already amped guitars can choke them at some point, try using the DI's Guitars if you want a new tonality. To identify what is causing the phase cancellation, mute all guitars, and one by one un-mute them, bypass the effects and hear if one of then is causing the problem. A good way to avoid over compression, is to first balance the mix without any EQ or compression, you can start balancing the bass and the guitars, and then the drums and vocals when your happy with the results, you can EQ and compress in context of that. Volume automations after effects will be your best ally. And last, for limiting, try to start with the most intensive part of the song, like the chorus, because, using a verse for reference, when the chorus enters, the mix will choke badly
Hi guys,
thanks for you replies.
You may take a look at my other songs as well i think, as i had mainly problems with this one that i tried to hard to fix, hence the overcompression especially on the drums.
I had sudden peaks on the kick and snare tracks that i may be better of automating i guess, i'm working on improving the mix right now and may post it tomorrow i think.
As far as guitar sound goes, yes i rather squished that first guitar to have it sit in the intro when the rhythm guitars kick in, something i missed on other mix attempts. I kicked all guitars through an LA2A-style plugin to give them some saturation as i found them to be rather dark, i also used multiband compression after that to filter out some nasty midrange frequencies. I'm not hearing phase cancellations what exactly do you mean? I checked guitars in solo both in stereo & mono, i only used small amounts of delay to give them more space but nothing too heavy. As far as monitoring goes, thanks for the advices, i'm not as new to mixing as you might think, but i come from the live sound world and i'm mainly doing FOH jobs, this might be a reason i'm monitoring at quite high volumes and tend to overuse eqs and filters, but i'm also listening to some parts at lower volumes to check if they still sound good then, but my master eq might be a bit too much i think. As for monitor speakers i use a pair of rather old Quadral Montan MK I, which had a crossover refreshing but are still a bit too bass heavy and too quiet in the HF, i tried to fix this with a dsp and also have a pair of swissonic monitors to compare, i also solo single channels on headphones as i also do live to work on the details.
So again, thanks for your response and please also have a listen to the other tracks i mixed.
CheersSmile
Mix Version 2.
If you like those short clips...
master limiter is off & some eq changes.
Level changes done by hand while recording...F**k automation i'm a live sound guy the only things i automate are scene recalls.

.mp3    Sugar - Faith V2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.57 MB)