Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix
Mix 4 sounds good! Try a high shelf on the guitar bus.
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
(10-06-2019, 04:26 PM)sagalegin Wrote: I like the overall [...]

good to hear it worked for you. thanks for listening! ^_^
(10-06-2019, 11:24 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: Mix 4 sounds good! Try [...]

thanks for feedback! how do you think i should high shelf the guitars? boost or cut, and at which frequency point? i think im pretty much 'deaf' to heavy/dense guitar tones anyways, so everything goes. ^_^
I personally found the 3-4k range a bit of a mess so I cleaned that up and then I added a bell curve at around 3.7khz adding about 2db of gain and then a high shelf of like +10db around 9.5khz to make the guitars less mid heavy.
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
Great mix, I kinda like the first one, the tonal balance of the instruments is a very subjective theme, where one tell you the guitars are too bright, other can tell you the guitars are too dark. What i founded in the first amped guitar, is a resonance in the fundamental of the scale C#4 (262 Hz), and then the harmonics C#5 (565 Hz), and C#6 (1131 Hz). I think in that version, you used an EQ on the mixbus, good for guitars, if you have that project version, and you can send the drums to another bus, with another EQ settings, it will sound super great. Last, this kind of genre is very, very dynamic, more than almost all other genres, when one use the chorus to start balancing the instruments in the mix, the chorus will sound right, but the verses ... well, the kick will sound to high, the vocals will sound too high,etc. After the compression, the dynamic range of all signals will be almost the same, but, in the verses, the drummer plays more quieter, the guitar player, plays more quieter, etc. And for that, we need to balance manually the verses (if you mixed the chorus first), that means, volume automations, is time consuming, I know, but the final results are great.
(11-06-2019, 02:06 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: I personally [...]

thanks for specific answer! i will have to look into that. ^_^
(12-06-2019, 10:05 PM)Leonnyxx Wrote: Great mix, I kinda like the first one, [...]

thanks for your time! listening now, i think i too like the darker guitar tones of earlier versions more. but i dont think i have that version anymore. maybe i should learn to use the channel strip snapshots of cubase. i try to mix so, that the vocal levels would feel roughly same through the song, even if there's much 'velocity' difference between the parts. the samples have something like 50-60 point difference between parts, but i pretty much just 'selected and adjusted the midi box velocity per part', not paying too much attention to detail. there's also a few dBs of automation for vocals and bass done in the same manner. there is one or two points where the 'chorus level' kicks in too early for the vocals, so i would need to fix that. the next step would indeed be the fine tuning of transitions between parts etc, but i dont think im prepared to do that much work now. thank for the advice, i will keep it in mind. ^_^