Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prodigal_1
Fun having only four drum mics to work with.
Any feedback is welcome.

Okay did some revisions. Vocals are tamed a bit and a little hi end on the snare.

.mp3    Pordigal_2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.29 MB)

.mp3    Prodigal.mp3 --  (Download: 7.29 MB)

It wasn't fun having only four drum mics to record with! Though the issue was lack of inputs, not microphones.

It's a fine mix. The only minor issues I have is with the lead vocal. There's some sibilance that could be tamed a bit more. Also, the breaths before lines seem loud, or at least, noticeable. It's not a big deal at all but jumped out at me. It's probably compression which I think I hear pumping occasionally. Other than that I find no faults. The snare might be a little boxy. At least when he's playing the brushes or bundles or whatever.

Good job
(02-06-2019, 03:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It wasn't fun having only four drum mics to record with! Though the issue was lack of inputs, not microphones.

It's a fine mix. The only minor issues I have is with the lead vocal. There's some sibilance that could be tamed a bit more. Also, the breaths before lines seem loud, or at least, noticeable. It's not a big deal at all but jumped out at me. It's probably compression which I think I hear pumping occasionally. Other than that I find no faults. The snare might be a little boxy. At least when he's playing the brushes or bundles or whatever.

Good job

I’ve been listening to mostly jazz these days so the lack of close mics
was a nice change from the norm. Sounds like the OHs were done recorderman style.
Listening back yes the eases are still to much. Was having a hard time getting the de-esser to sound right so ended up lowering the clip gain on
The sibilance. The kid was bothering me to use the computer so got in a hurry lol.
With the snare it’s probably becouse it has a low pass down to about 2.5k.
Maybe a little to extreme but I was mostly trying to get the beef from the the snare mic. In the next day or two I’ll get in there and try and fix those issues.
Thank you for your feedback!

Ha recorderman. I haven't heard that in a while. Yeah, I suppose that might be was it was. Essentially a Glyn Johns setup with a snare mic added. It works well but the kick can be a little uneven, as in this case.
(02-06-2019, 06:55 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Ha recorderman. I haven't heard that in a while. Yeah, I suppose that might be was it was. Essentially a Glyn Johns setup with a snare mic added. It works well but the kick can be a little uneven, as in this case.
Watched a vid with fletcher long ago and he put the floor tom mic on the outside of the low tom facing into snare. Got rid of that click from the kick. Anyway great sounding tracks. Most of the tracks I didn't Eq or compress besides a little on the busses.