Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Forkupines Sugar Daddy
Freakin hell this is a long song ... or is it 2 songs? Who knows!

*edit* For your listening pleasure I broke the song up into 2 tracks because the second half is my favourite of the 2. Eh, what can I say.

Digital only, stock eqs, compression, a little tasty distortion, verb and delay.

.mp3    Forkupines_Sugar_M1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.17 MB)

.mp3    Forkupines_Faith_M1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.28 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Hello there.

I think you over did the reverb and fx on your mix. It's like everything is floating.
There are some phases issues here. You should clean the drum track. for example I didn't even used the ride track.. the bleed was horrible. If you have toms panned left and right you should cut out anything and everything where the toms don't play to clean up your drums.

I do like the voice balance on things.
Last thing I'd like to add is you should knock back that limitter.. it's clipping and pumping all over the place.

Here is a reference of a good pop punk track you can listen to. Note how everything is subtle and also the volume in it is not drastic so prevent clipping distortion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HeuMiuj_Sg

Keep rocking it Smile
(01-06-2019, 09:03 PM)Shul Wrote: Hello there.

I think you over did the reverb and fx on your mix. It's like everything is floating.
There are some phases issues here. You should clean the drum track. for example I didn't even used the ride track.. the bleed was horrible. If you have toms panned left and right you should cut out anything and everything where the toms don't play to clean up your drums.

I do like the voice balance on things.
Last thing I'd like to add is you should knock back that limitter.. it's clipping and pumping all over the place.

Here is a reference of a good pop punk track you can listen to. Note how everything is subtle and also the volume in it is not drastic so prevent clipping distortion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HeuMiuj_Sg

Keep rocking it Smile

Hello mate,

*quick edit* Not really a fan of Reliant K tbh

Had a quick look at the tracks and while I agree the verb was a bit too chunky, I didn't get rid of it, just dampened a bit off the bottom end.

The effects are a combination of the delay designer in Logic for slap and a mod to give it some life. I have a seperate delay doing long tails, and I wouldn't get rid of either because dry isn't my vibe.

I already had the toms panned and replaced with Logic's built in replacers (actually really good in my opinion). The only original parts of the drums is the overheads, the room, the hats and the ride because bleed is life, and there aren't any phasing issues that I didn't create myself on purpose with some really quick delay to take away a little of the ear fatiguing.

Lastly, I had a look at the limiter and tried without it and it just loses more life. I really quite enjoy a good pump.

Audio purity is boring, give me some chunky, pumpy, verby life!

Your mix rocks by the way. I'm curious how you got that snare sound. Is it original?
~
Other Mixes
Yeah I used the original recordings for the snare. I'm no expert in REAPER and my mac is broken so NO LOGIC (my favorite daw). I really wanted a snappy snare so I compressed heavily.. and I did a huge shelf boost on the 4k area and above to bring that top end. I think I cut some 400hz or 500hz I'm not so sure I kept messing with the mix since I'm gonna upload the revised version soon so I no longer have the same settings. But usually I compress heavy and boost that top end a lot.. a lot. and the other snare track was subtle for texture only. Not sure if I make sense.
(02-06-2019, 08:06 AM)Shul Wrote: Yeah I used the original recordings for the snare. I'm no expert in REAPER and my mac is broken so NO LOGIC (my favorite daw). I really wanted a snappy snare so I compressed heavily.. and I did a huge shelf boost on the 4k area and above to bring that top end. I think I cut some 400hz or 500hz I'm not so sure I kept messing with the mix since I'm gonna upload the revised version soon so I no longer have the same settings. But usually I compress heavy and boost that top end a lot.. a lot. and the other snare track was subtle for texture only. Not sure if I make sense.

Yep, makes sense. There was a lot of bleed going on in all the mics so to save time I replaced them. Bloody good effort on your part to clean them up that much.
Have you thought of using Studio One? That's what I use on my PC and its ok. Not great included plugins though.
~
Other Mixes
I tried studio one but its really complicated in comparison with reaper.. I just like the work flow of reaper more. Studio one is awesome when you break it down and learn your way around all the software.. But after trying reaper i just liked the more simplistic flow of it.
(02-06-2019, 06:41 PM)Shul Wrote: I tried studio one but its really complicated in comparison with reaper.. I just like the work flow of reaper more. Studio one is awesome when you break it down and learn your way around all the software.. But after trying reaper i just liked the more simplistic flow of it.

Yeah I tried using Studio One when my Mac went down and you're right, the flow is really a bit of a mess. I gave up eventually and bought a new Mac. Tried building a Hackintosh but didn't realise I wouldn't be able to use my UAD software with it.
~
Other Mixes