Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
FORKUPINES (FINAL MIX2 & extra tracks)
UPDATE_________
gave it another go and came up with a different sound.

I'll also leave the separate drums, guitars, bass, vocal tracks in case anyone want's to know how my mix sounds in solo. Sometimes we just need to solo sections out to hear exactly what's going on. I wish I could solo actual songs out to see what in the heck the engineer did to the song.. also it's useful to hear how much reverb the sections also have.

Feel free to download them and analyze them. Hope that helps someone who's starting out.

.mp3    SugarFaithFINAL2.mp3 --  (Download: 17.42 MB)

.mp3    1DRUMS.mp3 --  (Download: 17.42 MB)

.mp3    2BASS.mp3 --  (Download: 17.42 MB)

.mp3    3GUITARS.mp3 --  (Download: 17.42 MB)

.mp3    4VOICES.mp3 --  (Download: 17.42 MB)

I think you did really well to be honest. Clean mix, very subtle effects, its all there and nothing to complain about.

Good mix for someone starting on a new DAW that's for sure.
~
Other Mixes
I really like this Shul. It's well defined and balanced and just works from start to finish. Sonically i'm finding it sounding a little scooped and and a bit full in the 4k area though, especially when referencing to commercial mixes. I have added a version of your mix with some eq changes that seems to bring it more into line with some of the songs I was comparing it to. Be mindful these are pretty bold eq moves to be throwing over the whole mix, so it's going to be far from perfect but I do think it's an improvement overall.
I have made these judgments with headphones on, just as you have mixing it. Monitors may paint a different picture.
Great mix overall Shul. I hope this helps.

Dave

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    SugarFaith01eqadjust 1.mp3 --  (Download: 17.46 MB)

Good work mate,nothing wrong with working with cans,i do at night.Mine was done in cans also.
They can be a advantage as you hear more detail and also can help to balance better.Keep up the good work.
All our mixed would sound better professionally mastered eq wise, thats their job.
(01-06-2019, 01:11 PM)Dangerous Wrote: I really like this Shul. It's well defined and balanced and just works from start to finish. Sonically i'm finding it sounding a little scooped and and a bit full in the 4k area though, especially when referencing to commercial mixes. I have added a version of your mix with some eq changes that seems to bring it more into line with some of the songs I was comparing it to. Be mindful these are pretty bold eq moves to be throwing over the whole mix, so it's going to be far from perfect but I do think it's an improvement overall.
I have made these judgments with headphones on, just as you have mixing it. Monitors may paint a different picture.

Dave

Hello mate,

I gotta completely disagree with you on this, sorry Dangerous. I know it might sound good on your system, but this has killed Shul's mix on 3 seperate devices I've listened to including an Amphion system. Completely. Guitars have been cut, presence in the bass is gone and now the highs are really uncomfortable to listen to at a loud level, especially because you didn't de-ess the master. The body is gone, and because of all that the dynamics has been effected so there is no punch in the crescendos.
Sorry bro, my opinion is it was better before.
And you shouldn't be effing around on other peoples work without permission. I'd be pissed if I were Shul.
~
Other Mixes
Good work ,the way you've worked the various elements really keeps the energy and keep it interesting, hope you don't mind , I gave your mix a go with some of my(M.O.T.D.) e.q. ,comp and harmonic/noise treatment. Not because it needed it, but just to see.
Mark
(01-06-2019, 01:11 PM)Dangerous Wrote: I really like this Shul. It's well defined and balanced and just works from start to finish. Sonically i'm finding it sounding a little scooped and and a bit full in the 4k area though, especially when referencing to commercial mixes. I have added a version of your mix with some eq changes that seems to bring it more into line with some of the songs I was comparing it to. Be mindful these are pretty bold eq moves to be throwing over the whole mix, so it's going to be far from perfect but I do think it's an improvement overall.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I did scooped several guitar tracks I felt those mids were too aggressive for the overall mix so what you perceived being scooped is mostly the guitars. In others I high pass the crap out of them and just left them for texture.

I agree on the 4k issue.. I didn't do anything in this area with guitars and also those vocals are a lil bit harsh sounding. I'm gonna fix that and the essing too... it's too prominent and it's giving problems.

I think your eq decision would be good but only if subtle. The top end of my mix has a lot of cymbals harshness I couldn't control well so boosting the top end that much sound a lil bit funny imo. As for the 200hz area I believe the bass lost some body there.

Having said that thanks for taking your time and actually analyzing my mix. I've done a lot of that on several people's mixes and I always learn a thing or two. Big Grin
(01-06-2019, 02:36 PM)Quathamer Wrote: And you shouldn't be effing around on other peoples work without permission. I'd be pissed if I were Shul.

Oh no not at all. Anyone who want's to download my mixes can do so. Besides Dave and I have been exchanging comment's for a long time now Lol. I think I speak for most of the people in the forum that doing that helps your analyzing skills. That's part 1 of mastering... fixing eq is a must when it comes to mastering so you are basically training that area of your skills.

Also Thanks for the comments I appreciate the input Smile
(01-06-2019, 01:57 PM)takka360 Wrote: Good work mate,nothing wrong with working with cans,i do at night.Mine was done in cans also.
They can be a advantage as you hear more detail and also can help to balance better.Keep up the good work.
All our mixed would sound better professionally mastered eq wise, thats their job.

Thanks takka. For my headphones though mine are the cheap ones (mid level) I lost my expensive ones a while back and those were more accurate on the high and mid end. So I had a lil trouble with the ones I own right now but I did listen to several songs as reference though.

Again thanks for the input.
(01-06-2019, 03:00 PM)Mark M.O.T.D. Wrote: Good work ,the way you've worked the various elements really keeps the energy and keep it interesting, hope you don't mind , I gave your mix a go with some of my(M.O.T.D.) e.q. ,comp and harmonic/noise treatment. Not because it needed it, but just to see.
Mark

Hey mark.. I think you forgot to put those EQ changes? lol or maybe I understood your comment wrong.

either way thanks for the input! Smile