Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
C U Next Time
Hey guys,
I hope you like my attempt on this one. I`m an amateur and I`d love to get some opinions and critics.
Mixed with ableton and beyerdynamic dt770 pro headphones.
Cheers,
Paul

.mp3    Remember December.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

Welcome to the fun. You picked a tough one here. There is a fair amount of "mud" in this mix. Have you used a high pass filter to get rid of the extraneous lows on most of the tracks other than the bass and kick? Also, the lead vocal sounds a bit boxy. Overall, you have achieved a decent balance.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Hello

Lead voc sounds good but all the vocals are too loud compared to other instrument. I think you should work little more with the overall balance.
It is hard to say anything of the other instrument as they are really quiet.
Well at that one guitar part the guitar sounded kind of thin when there wasn't lead voc on. You could try automate an eq to rise a little bit low mids to guitar at those part as it sounded good with the lead vocal.
I'm not sure what is causing it but I hear lot of pumping. Probably from drums group? And that can also be result of not having enough LPF in your tracks. Those lows can make your compressor pump.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
You did a good job of curing some of the harshness in the vocal without losing the intelligibility. I'd like a bit more "cut" in the guitars, and maybe more of the brighter sounding snare track.

(09-12-2013, 06:34 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: I'm not sure what is causing it but I hear lot of pumping. Probably from drums group? And that can also be result of not having enough LPF in your tracks. Those lows can make your compressor pump.

I think a lot of that is coming from the vocal. Before I'd seen your post the first thing I noticed was the lead vocal smashing into a bus compressor and forcing everything else down with it. At 17 seconds and 25 seconds you can hear the rest of the mix start to jump back up in between vocal phrases.

You could help this if you were to do a bit more compression on the vocal channel and maybe turn the it down a bit. That way the compression being applied to the vox won't also be applied to the rest of the mix.

Chris
Everyone who commented here is dead on, imho, with their assessments. However, I would also like to congratulate our new friend here, who, if actually an amateur--by admission mixing through headphones--did a really good job on a very very tough song to mix.

Everyone here nailed the basics. Overall though, it is still a nicely balanced mix. Good job. Now..go get some Nearfields!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

la verdad que un asco!!!!!!
One of the best things you can do is grab something like Sample Magic's Magic AB plug and change back and forth between something you think sounds great and your mix. Honestly one of the best ways to learn ever. Also, for vocal level, try turning your mix way way down and blending that way too, or step out of the room while your track is playing. Good work!

cheers