Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth Frequencies Mix
Wonder if he found it Huh

.mp3    Lost My Way.mp3 --  (Download: 11.22 MB)

Bass and kick feel really where they should thou there's a little too much of a cave sound. I guess it's the snare (maybe too dark, too), but there might be other parts adding up. At the very end of the tune (the part I'd bet the band thought for a fadeout but I digress) the snare sounds great oddly, so it might be a thing of the harder playing fitting the mix the better, but I didn't like the snare thru the middle 8 either so I really can't tell.

Nice sounding acoustic guitar, you really must like pseudostereo stuff but it works great here. You've made it somehow more present than the other rhythm guitars, making the mix feel steadier and more solid thou a little more boring and predictable on the other hand, but I think it just works because you end up with a tight and warm backing track that can let the vocal take over as it should. And it's a little frustrating because vocals felt a mixed bag for me, I enjoyed some parts while some just took me out of the song:

Verse 1 (and more or less the same for verse 2), I feel it's just too soon for such a wet and stereo spread LV. Since the arrangement and playing get smaller and gentler compared to the intro, wouldn't it make more sense to keep it more grounded? At the third line, the incoming BVs already create a similar effect in a more organic way.

Chorus 1-2, things get way better, maybe the LV's stereo effect nudges down or maybe the busiest landscope makes it jump out less. That breathing effect was completely unexpected and I have to say I really liked it (and I'm not usually a fan of breathy compressed vocals but this was made in better taste than, say, Muse would)

Middle 8, the breathing effect is a little confusing here because it grows from zero to frankly overdone and the line when you notice it first it feels as a mistake, as if the return fader was accidentally down and you turned it up in the middle of it. The "lost my way" first line sounds great so I see it's definitely a conscious choice but methinks it's too much. There were some lovely female like BV's tracks that could add that sparkle in a more natural way but they hardly sound as it is. Final wheel vocals are fine to me.

Hope there's some sense to get out of this rant, cheers!