Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bitter: Mix Jerze
Well I'm still not happy with certain things , but it’s time to move on and come back to this one. Great job to Fh on the song and mix. If you have time leave some thoughts
Thanks for your time!

.mp3    FytaKyte\'s \'Bitter\' Mix By Jerze.mp3 --  (Download: 8.45 MB)

Hey Jerze, this sounds great!

Everything sits together really well, and the tones sound great. The mix has a nice soundstage with some depth and width, and a good spread across the frequency range.

About the only thing that caught my ear was the distorted rhythm guitars in the chorus - they feel a little too present around the 3-4k range. With all the vocal stacks there it just gets a touch harsh at times.

Overall though - top job!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
I'm unable to hear the acoustic guitar other than it's unpleasant extreme upper harmonics which poke out now and again, for example during the intro, because of the over-domiant electric. The acoustic guitar is also playing lower in the register but it's notation is completely masked. Techncially, we should be able to hear all instruments clearly. Also correlated to this is the problem with the backing vocal clarity. I also can't hear the keys. Did you delete them? And what of the shakers?

Bass guitar doesn't translate over my small test speaker.

The drums sound robotic because they are programmed. Do you feel the drums could benefit here from automation, like lower in the verses, or does the song benefit the listener from having them punch hard all the time?

There are 58 tracks, so some hard decisions await if you intend getting this lot between two speakers, and even harder decisions than this if you want it to work in mono.

You have some issues with harsh non-linear distortion artifacts from the loudness war processing, some of this is likely eminating from the lossy encoder which makes for a fatiguing listening experience over my device.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(26-05-2019, 03:01 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: Hey Jerze, this sounds great!

Everything sits together really well, and the tones sound great. The mix has a nice soundstage with some depth and width, and a good spread across the frequency range.

About the only thing that caught my ear was the distorted rhythm guitars in the chorus - they feel a little too present around the 3-4k range. With all the vocal stacks there it just gets a touch harsh at times.

Overall though - top job!

Hey Fh, thanks for the time.

Congrats on the finishing your CD I’ll have to buy one sounds great both the writing and mixing.

As for the mix still not totally happy with it, but I think it’s a good start.
I might go Through and check the stems out to get some ideas on some tones.

Thanks again and see you around!

Hello Monk, And thanks for your time and thoughts
Just so we’re on the same page. From my op.” Well I'm still not happy with certain things, but it’s time to move on and come back to this one.”

(26-05-2019, 10:56 AM)Monk Wrote: I'm unable to hear the acoustic guitar other than it's unpleasant extreme upper harmonics which poke out now and again, for example during the intro, because of the over-domiant electric. The acoustic guitar is also playing lower in the register but it's notation is completely masked.

I just couldn’t figure out a good tone. I don’t mind the guitar being the dominant focus and the acoustic filling out around it and again with a better sound tho.

Quote:Techncially, we should be able to hear all instruments clearly. Also correlated to this is the problem with the backing vocal clarity. I also can't hear the keys. Did you delete them? And what of the shakers?

The word “Technically” is a good word, but to me it doesn’t rule the roost what does is what the part brings to the table and also what feels good. I will try and get the vocal clarity figured out thanks.
The Rhodes part I tried to cut up and use it as a filler part didn’t Finish the idea so this would need to be done at about (.30) is where the part comes in at it’s kind of subliminal, but was using in the sound field as something to add movement. I looked at the Hammond as a filler sound so hopefully if I took It out of the mix you would feel something was missing. The shaker I blended into the hi-hat sound not sure if that’s Technically right, but I will look at it.

Quote:Bass guitar doesn't translate over my small test speaker.

I do agree with you I don’t have a set in my room, but I did listen on a cell phone so this would need to be looked at.

Quote:The drums sound robotic because they are programmed. Do you feel the drums could benefit here from automation, like lower in the verses, or does the song benefit the listener from having them punch hard all the time?

Yes, I did notice this before I posted the mix. I just didn’t take the extra time though I spent my time automating other things maybe should have done the drums first though.

Quote:There are 58 tracks, so some hard decisions await if you intend getting this lot between two speakers, and even harder decisions than this if you want it to work in mono.

I personally don’t have a problem with 50 tracks I don’t think they were all playing at the same time though, but I do get what you are saying.I just think it depends on the song.

Quote:You have some issues with harsh non-linear distortion artifacts from the loudness war processing, some of this is likely eminating from the lossy encoder which makes for a fatiguing listening experience over my device.

Is there a way to tell which is causing the issue with “non-linear distortion artifacts”? I do need to spend some time on honing my fake mastering process. What do you recommend?

Thanks again for the listen and thoughts!
Jerze

(26-05-2019, 10:56 AM)Monk Wrote: There are 58 tracks, so some hard decisions await if you intend getting this lot between two speakers, and even harder decisions than this if you want it to work in mono.

(27-05-2019, 05:57 AM)jerze Wrote: I personally don’t have a problem with 50 tracks I don’t think they were all playing at the same time though, but I do get what you are saying.I just think it depends on the song.

There are 58 tracks, not 50. If you don't have a problem with all that spectral content, then I should be able to hear all instruments that you've included in your vision, clearly with "no masking". I can't. If there's a keyboard in there, I should hear all it's scored notation across the register, same with the acoustic guitar.

The shaker would be better placed opposite the hhat if you need spectral balance in the stereo domain.

However, all instruments must be clearly identifiable in both mono and stereo. If there's any notes masked, it's a weakness in the mixing process.

"If an instrument was muted we'd notice it missing", is another way of saying it's a bad mix.

Yes, you can put some elements lower down in the mix in a nuanced manner, but the listener should still be able to hear their notation clearly without struggle. If they can't, the instrument serves no purpose and will simply clutter and congest the mix while irritating the hell out of an experienced listener.

Regarding the non-linear distortion issues, I'd suggest doing some research. It's a very broad subject and yet one we all need to understand well.

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.