Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Bitter--the twisted mix
Hello Monk,

Well you did trim the fat off this mix not sure it was warranted, but you do have vision. I took some time to check out some of your other mixes sorry didn’t have time to post, but will. You are a creative person so I might need to pick your brain some.

As for your vision

I hesitate to say much about the mix/remix. I feel that there is a lot of loose ends that need to be tighten up. I like the intro lead part and also the lead gt part sounds along with the Fx. The acoustic at .10 has an artifact compression? The 1st verse has a 60 vibe when the keys comes in, but we know the vocals need to be there? Overall you have clarity, but you need to get the parts locked in if you’re going down this road. The gt sound at 2.52 needs some work both sound and what its adding to the remix. The last thing I think I would try more of the room mics on the drum sound. Looking forward to the finished idea!

Hi Jerze, thanks for dropping by and for a decent, thought-through contribution to the discussion. I must also thank you for your detailed reply to my initial feedback to your mix, which I hope to pick up on shortly.

(31-05-2019, 10:53 PM)jerze Wrote: Well you did trim the fat off this mix not sure it was warranted..

Perhaps think about what context you have in mind from your mix as well as others here, and compare and contrast these with mine. They are radically different, so the spectral outcome will reflect that.

I’ve focused my mix a lot more on the acgtr (and keys of course), but it’s balanced with the egtr. They need to work together in the stereo domain (and mono, a concept which seems to have escaped rather a lot of people). Add to this the notation of the acgtr which is treble based anyway, and we automatically end up with a brighter feel.

So, I only used one track of the acgtr, placing it left and more frontal. It’s one musician in my vision, not two musicians on the extremes of the sides of the stage as the arrangement perhaps suggests. The frontal placement automatically demands a brighter, louder perspective so that’s in-keeping with the illusion I was seeking. Because the acgtr has less SPL, bringing it more towards the listener helps with the power struggle and makes the interplay more level-field.

The egtr is also spectrally bright by definition, not only due to it’s score, but due to the distortion and slow decay from the modulation effects which add some bright build up. Moving it back in the illusion, helped me tame those harmonics somewhat, while keeping them similarly aligned with the acgtr. Dealing with the low end resonances which needed attention, helped remove some unpleasant mud in the misery range of the acgtr but doing so immediately leads to a feel of added brightness, of course. I think I actually boosted a certain part of the low-mid acgtr a lot, while cutting some unpleasant build up from the room and mic placement. Was it aliasing during recording?

I think the arrangement lacked some instrumental low-mid involvement? The keys come in, and quickly leave this range, so not much there to help. The bgtr is on it’s own and sounds too present in the mix if it’s brought out more.

My mix actually sounds warmer compared to the preview on my cube. Some harshness is probably coming from the extra lossy of the 192kbps file (mine is 420kbps!) but there is no doubt that the preview mix has a lot more upper harmonic content which tends to feel brash as a consequence. Could my mix warm up a bit more? Certainly not without losing the mid range or adding some muddy resonances. I’d need to look again though, to be sure, and I’m not in any hurry right now.

Quote:The acoustic at .10 has an artifact compression?

No, but I don’t blame you for thinking it might be. It’s the attack from the plectrum. I pulled a clip from a later part because the downbeat wasn’t sufficiently pronounced. I think I know why Wink

Quote:The 1st verse has a 60 vibe when the keys comes in,

I like The Who; deal with it Big Grin Tongue Cool

Quote:The gt sound at 2.52 needs some work both sound and what its adding to the remix.

I've just updated this bit....I misread the locator and thought you were referring to the guitar bloom, sorry.

It was my vision to keep the guitar part lower in the mix, balanced below the lead vocal at this point and a lot smoother than it was in the tracking. I didn't want it poking out, but settled yet present. The guitar bloom preceding it was at an elevated level, leading me to tame things into this particular chorus. If I'd elevated it, it would have been a sonic and audio mess of brittleness. It would also have trampled on the lead vocal here too.

I'm wondering if you too might have an instrumental bias towards guitars, especially if you think that 16 egtr tracks isn't a lot of spectral congestion? This is probably why your acgtr and keys are heavily masked (as indeed they are in the preview)?

Quote:The last thing I think I would try more of the room mics on the drum sound.

No thanks. The kit is in-keeping with the other elements, both in depth and the sharing of a common ambiance and illusion of space. It fits my vision.

Thanks for your time and sharing your ideas and thoughts Jerze. Greatly appreciated.

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.