Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One more mix
10-10-2013, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 01:03 PM by rudacury.)
One more mix
Here it goes my third upload.
Pretty fun song to mix - not so easy/simple though. What happened to the bass right before the break?! Had to do some copy/paste/cut stuff there.
Usually i like the drums more "in the face" but i thought this song asked for something different (as i did), more focused on the vocals, for example.
Let me know what you guys think!

.mp3   Hop Along.mp3 --  (Download: 11.18 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 01:32 PM
RE: One more mix
Nice job! Sounds great on my set up.
25-10-2013, 06:05 PM
I think you're overcompressing or over limiting. The meter is not moving at all.

Note: Rolling Stones CD's has dynamic range of 9-12 db all the time. Your dynamic range is 5-6 dB. I'm quite sure if you just open master limiter with 4-6 db, your mix begins to sound and breathe like it should.

Because of that heavy compression, it's difficult to say how your mix sounds. For example, now the drums are very smashed and weak and don't do their job. If you listen your mix at the conversation level, drums are almost inaudible.

If you're using reference CD's (everyone should), bring the CD track into your DAW and reduce the level about 10dB. After that you can listen you own mix in a same RMS level as the CD. So during mixing phase try to make the sound and balance right, and if you want to attend the loudness war, do it later in the mastering phase. But don't spoil the sound you created while mixing.
25-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I agree with Olli's suggestions on this.

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
05-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Yep, i did use heavy compression sort of intentionally.
I thought that would be a better approach on a more pop song, like i said originally about the drums.
Also, my references are always much more compressed than usual hahah
But thanks very much for the tips and opinions from all of you guys!
05-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Anyway.
Here it goes another "version". I actually only released a bit of the end compressor.

.mp3   Hop Along less comp.mp3 --  (Download: 11.17 MB)

05-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm glad you made it.

Now that I listen to your new mix I think it's pretty good. Balance feels good, and you have sound that suits this genre. Now the frequency balance is also better andmore open. It breathes much more better. Kick and snare has better punch.

Although this new mix is not as loud as the original version, it's still more powerful. To prove it I made a quick example where the opening riff of your two mixes are compared in the same RMS level. I pull down your first mix 4.9 dB. I won't tell which one is first, but listen for the punch of the kick and snap of the snare. And listen with both the low volume and high volume. (My example has gone through double mp3 process, so the difference is not so big as it's in your mixes.)

.mp3   comp-no-comp.mp3 --  (Download: 417.38 KB)

06-11-2013, 02:42 AM
Yes, listening to it again and more carefully, you were right, you improved my mix. Without your input i would have let how it was thinking it was as good as i gets. Thats why i like this forum/comunity.
Once again, thanks for the tips (and compliments).
06-11-2013, 09:30 AM
I just happen to be oversensitive to compression at the moment. Sorry for that. But when Johnny Lokke gives us soon his next metal song to mix, I will force me to forget that tendency, and I'll try to make it as loud as possible. Smile

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: