Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
This Song Is Sweet! (FRIGGY MIX)
17-05-2019, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2019 12:00 AM by Friggy.)
This Song Is Sweet! (FRIGGY MIX)
Really catchy song, half the time i'd just let the track play out without mixing! lol

I went with a top down/parallel compression approach before ever touching the individual mics.
Sending the kick and snare to a bus to compress and blend in. Doing a bit of eq and comp on the master.
And then going through and seeing what needed further adjustments.

Hope you like it!

.mp3   00-Bitter MixV1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.45 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2019, 01:23 AM
RE: This Song Is Sweet! (FRIGGY MIX)
Hey Friggy - very nice mix! It has a great overall energy and excitement to it...

I love the lead vocals - you did a really beautiful job with them. I also love the attention to detail evident in the finishing touches like automation and delay throws etc. The drums sound HUGE! From an aesthetic point of view, I think I'd personally prefer a little less high end in the drum rooms, but your overall vision for the mix works really well.

Some fairly minor things I noticed:
- the "answering" backing vocals sound a little muddy and boxy.
- the distorted bass track sounds a little too present during some of the verse sections and tends to draw attention to itself a bit too much.
- the balance of the first chorus sounds superb, but later choruses tend to get a little overpowered in the high mids due to all the vocal and guitar information. Probably some automation in those parts may help keep things a little more balanced overall.

Top job!

Links to some of my recent mixes:
Shore
Iron Sheik
Band Website: https://fytakyte.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website
20-05-2019, 12:35 AM
Thanks for listening!

The lead vocals were mainly a bx2908 going into a PSP fetpressor. The 2098 eq does a great job at coloring and shaping tracks. Reminds me of an SSL workflow, but with great saturation if you want it.

In this new mix I addressed what you brought up. Background vocals are eq'd more to reduce the boxiness. Used more of the bass di and amp tracks and left the distorted track lower, but it does come up during the choruses. Around 50secs you could really hear it building up, so I was wondering if it was going to be too much in the first mix.

I also checked my reverb sends to make sure not too much highend was coming through them.

And a lot of higher mids were coming from guitar 8 and 9. They had a good amount of 2-3k so I eq'd that section down a bit. It kept that area balanced when everything is hitting at once.

.mp3   00-Bitter MixV2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.41 MB)

20-05-2019, 12:54 PM
Nice update!

Links to some of my recent mixes:
Shore
Iron Sheik
Band Website: https://fytakyte.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: