Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bitter? I hardly know her!
17-05-2019, 11:49 PM
Bitter? I hardly know her!
Gimme some feedback if you don't mind! Feel free to ask for any specifics about what I did.

Really enjoyed working with this song, the natural ambience in the drum room was awesome. Vocal stacks recorded great and made it fun to layer BGVs.

If you happen to need your songs mixed, I offer free test mixes!
http://www.echomixing.com

Cheers!

.mp3   Bitter_FytaKyte_B1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.41 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2019, 01:07 AM
RE: Bitter? I hardly know her!
Hey Korz, nice mix! Everything works really well together. You went for a big roomy sound on the drums, but you matched the rest of the mix to it, so it works.

A couple of personal taste things here:
- I reckon pulling back the overall ambience during the verses and then letting it come back for the choruses would be a better aesthetic choice to give the choruses more impact. At present, the mix has a bit of an "epic all the time" vibe to it. A bit more variation would catch the listeners attention better IMO.
- The reverb on the vocal tends to have a "nasally" midrange emphasis that is just a touch overbearing to my ears. An eq cut on the reverb in that area might just give the reverb a slightly more "expensive" vibe.

Overall though, I love the cohesiveness of the mix, the confidence evident in the decisions made and definitive direction it has. Nice work!

Links to some of my recent mixes:
Shore
Iron Sheik
Band Website: https://fytakyte.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website
19-05-2019, 09:43 PM
RE: Bitter? I hardly know her!
Thanks FytaKyte for the helpful feedback, and thanks so much for providing these stems! Best recorded free stems I've come across so far. Well produced and so much fun to mix!

You're spot on with your feedback, great point about automating the FX down in the verse to give it some contrast. I did go big with the drum sound just because I can't help myself on a mix I'm doing for fun Big Grin Those room mics sounded so good with some Devil-Loc that I didn't even add much artificial verb to the drums. Going for a late-90s rock feel with the drums and vocal coloring.

Really digging some other mixes of this song on the forum, super cool to see everyone else's interpretation!

Support my video work!
Advertisement: