Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W.I.N.D.: 'Temporary Happiness' kapu mix
Applied some smashing and squashing here. ^_^

.m4a    wind-__temporary_happiness__kapu_mix2.m4a --  (Download: 11.87 MB)

.m4a    wind-__temporary_happiness__kapu_mix.m4a --  (Download: 11.7 MB)

wow... not kidding loud!
What's on your master bus?
A good limiter maybe?
in headphones sounds good!
(23-01-2017, 04:41 AM)mixogen Wrote: wow... not kidding loud!
What's on your master bus?
A good limiter maybe?
in headphones sounds good!

eq: standard logic pro x channel eq. low cut for the lowest lows. here it's on around 40hz. maybe some other tweaks based on source material.

limiter: waves l2. functioning just as a peak protection limiter. here threshold and ceiling are at -6 dBFS. so no level building here, just to limit some of the loudest peaks, and 'protect' the compressor.

comp: waves ssl bus comp. basic 'mixbus glue' compression. ratio 4, attack 30ms, release autio, threshold so that about 2-3 dBs of gain reduction gets applied.

mbcomp: waves c4. 'hard basic' -preset modified for slower attack and release times. master attack set for 300ms for lowest frequency, 400ms for release. master threshold set by ear so that it just starts to 'catch' in. in my case it usually starts to compress the lower middles about 1-2 dBs, and other frequency areas are showing occasional activity. for me this is the part that makes it sound like 'it's mastered.'

sat/clip: this is what you're propably after. used stillwell event horizon here, also logic pro x compressor clipper or gvst gclip (free) will do the trick. hard clipping mode, just to build up level (or loudness). when going for loud stuff, i usually aim at around -6 LUFS for the loudest part. certainly loud enough.

limiter: izotope maximizer. limiter mode I. no audible level change here, so threshold at 0 dBFS, ceiling -0.3 dBFS. true peak limiting engaged. dithering set to 16-bit.

if i'm not happy after this, i try to make fixes in the mix.
Thanks for the super detailed response: nice to know about event horizon. I had that on my master while mixing but took it off not sure if its pro enough quality or not. I guess it is! Well I went ahead and made a louder master last night, which is how I sort of originlly mixed it to be.

I do want to say you got some great defined tones in your loud mix, whereas you'll see my loud mix is kind of a blur,..
(23-01-2017, 10:27 PM)mixogen Wrote: Thanks for [...]

thanks! ^_^