Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackie Greene: Rise Up Singing
Gave this one a shot. Loved mixing it. Instruments were recorded quite well--a nice change it seems.

Would love some feedback, esp. regarding the bass placement (which I thought needed to come out a lot more than I've heard in many mixes), but had to be careful.

The midrange had me scrambling for a while as well, given the piano, acoustics, electrics and vocal prominence all carrying tremendous energy in that 500 - 1K range.

All thoughts are appreciated.

.mp3    Rise Up Singing.mp3 --  (Download: 3.75 MB)

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Hi Joe
Great sounding mix !
Just wondering if you used a gate on the bass ?

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thank you Don-type-fellow! (lol!)

I did not use a gate on the bass. Why do you ask?
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(14-02-2014, 05:29 PM)grizwalter Wrote: I did not use a gate on the bass. Why do you ask?

I like the tight bass notes At 0.17-0.20 the and 2.32 I tried to use a gate to try to tighten it up without editing but ended up leaving it as is lol Big Grin .

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

hey don, I must say that the key to bass, in my experience, is to control that low low sub zone. I roll off the 60Hz and below range (at least), use another eq to pump up the 80 - 100 range I'm looking to emphasize, and compress the living crap out of it, normally with a relatively fast attack and quite slow release. That's the only secret I've got. I have literally tried to take all the bass out of the bass, and failed. Can't be done it turns out. But with two channels, you just make one your string (imagine a world where every single thing besides your 1 - 5 K range doesn't exist), then take the other channel and pretend there is no such thing as a world above 1K. Seems to work overall. Just sayin'. haha
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Gonna give it a listen on speakers tomorrow. The intro has some gate like effect, makes you go what, when knowing the raw tracks. Cool effect.
The bas doesnt seem louder in cans than Dons and my mixes.

I realise this is louder, but to my taste and the song its a but too saturated/squeezed in drums.
That doesnt mean its a bad mix, just difrent - more like turnin the marshal amp up on a ballad Big Grin

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
yeah Voelund, can't argue any of that. you know me...push it. you? let it rest. I like that style, which is why I really dig your mixes.

Not sure I understood the "louder" thing about the bass. Louder isn't the issue I don't think? Just making sure its punchy enough. In both of your mixes the bass was excellent. And I suppose it is fair to say that the bass was recorded perfectly (never have I seen a bass guitar with that much low end and so few mids fit so nicely). Total props tot he engineer who did the initial recording!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

I like this nice pumping Bass version " I love bass " , nice and clean bass line, Main vocal on my headphones sounds a little hard sounding in the mid range , piano a little too. Guitars sound very nice , High hats sound nice , did you use mix in both front and back Drum mics ?

Nice balance Joe

Memphis B
Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
(14-02-2014, 08:30 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Joe
Great sounding mix !
Just wondering if you used a gate on the bass ?

(04-03-2014, 12:32 AM)Memphis Black Wrote: I like this nice pumping Bass version " I love bass " , nice and clean bass line, Main vocal on my headphones sounds a little hard sounding in the mid range , piano a little too. Guitars sound very nice , High hats sound nice , did you use mix in both front and back Drum mics ?

Nice balance Joe

Memphis B

Thank you sir! And yes, I did use all the Drum Mics, although if I recall correctly, I only used the back mic to fill in whatever needed filling in...like my natural processor! lol

Thanks again man. I'll take a listen regarding the vocal harshness.

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]